Flue for a propane WH

Users who are viewing this thread

KD

Reaction score
Have a propane WH mounted under the house in garage. For the flue, is there a rule as to how many feet horizontal you can go before you go vertical up to the roof? In the horizontal run, do you make it 1/4 inch per foot slope same a sewer line?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Sorry I don't give advice on gas...
CO-alarm_gray.JPG

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Then why did you even post, Redwood?

Ked, I would make it slope upwards as much as possible. If you don't get enough slope or you have a very long run you may get condensation in that flue which can lead to it rusting out. You can use B-Pipe to get around that as long as you are getting lift to get the gases out. If you're not a draft inducer may be needed, but I'm not sure if you can use these with a WH unless it's a power vented model.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Then why did you even post, Redwood?

Ked, I would make it slope upwards as much as possible. If you don't get enough slope or you have a very long run you may get condensation in that flue which can lead to it rusting out. You can use B-Pipe to get around that as long as you are getting lift to get the gases out. If you're not a draft inducer may be needed, but I'm not sure if you can use these with a WH unless it's a power vented model.

The picture above is the best advice I can give a DIYer on a gas installation!
There are many serious ramifications that can occur from misinterpretations of advice. The advice I gave is the only safe advice to give!

Spaceman Spiff

Architect
Reaction score
I would read the instructions for the heater. I have seen many different rise / run / elbow combinations in the same brand of heater, or of the same type. It all depends on the manufacturer, design, and how they tested it. Let the manufacturer tell you what is safe for their product.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
I Would Go With Redwood On This ! !
If You Have To Ask This Question It Shows You Should Be Using A Professional Plumber/hvac Not Trying To Guess Or Ask A Bunch Of
Blind D. I. Y. Who Don't Know Any Thing About The
National Fuel Gas Code Or The Proper Way To Vent Gas

KD

Reaction score
This was seen on a house inspection for a friend. I recommended that an earthquake strap be installed, T and P drain line be run to the soil and that a licensed plumber inspect the WH flue.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks