Lining Main Sewer Line

Users who are viewing this thread

Matt L1

Reaction score
What kind of experience do others have with lining their main sewer lines?

Earlier this winter I had a very bad block to took the plumber a good deal of effort to clear out (he ended up using a pressure washer type of snake to free it up). Once it was clear he did a video inspection and found the line was in pretty good shape except that there was channel eroded in the bottom of the line with exposed aggregate (the line is made from sections of concrete pipe).

The plumber proposed lining the line since it was still in pretty good shape, and considering it is the original drain line from 1942 this sounds reasonable. I would just like some input on the different types of liners available, their relative costs, and longevity. The line is approximately 110 feet with one 90 degree bend where it goes around the house.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
How is he going to line it, and with what material? What is the line made from? What size is it now and what size will it be when it is lined? How is he going to get around the corner? What warranty on the lined pipe and who is responsible for fixing it when the lining fails? Will he do a post-installation video inspection, and give you a video tape for you to keep, showing that it was done and effective?

It is very hard to clean a line in place so you will get good adhesion of the liner. Some lining systems pull a completely new line through the old, even fracturing the old with a device pulled by a cable. That usually doesn't work going around a 90 degree bend.

If the lining is installed by jetting out the old and putting some kind of pookey inside that is supposed to stick to the old, then it probably won't last long.

It is not something that your local plumber is likely to have equipment to do. Take a look at how it is done is large scale work (see links). Then ask how he will do it and what it will cost. Get an estimate for replacing the line and compare the prices.

http://www.drainorooter.com/pipe_lining.html

http://ussewer-drain.com/
http://ussewer-drain.com/lateral.html

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Sounds to me like a line that is a candidate for relining. Prices are comparable to excavation though. The savings comes from what you don't have to tear up when you dig. Here is some information on pipe relining including a segment from this old house where they shoot a liner.

http://www.maxlinerusa.com/

WestcoastPlumber

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.wcplumbing.biz
I sold liners for a a number of years. Trenchless is good, there are 2 forms.

Pipe liner, where the installer only needs one entry pit.

pipe burst, where the installer needs 2 entry pits.

pipe burst pulls a spear through with new SDR17 buttfusion behind it.

liner is a sleeve that is blown in and cured in place.

I recommend "Permaliner"

Not sure what area your in, you may or may not have a installer in your area.

WestcoastPlumber

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.wcplumbing.biz
That usually doesn't work going around a 90 degree bend.

I have pulled through 2- 90's before, it is tricky, but can be done and can change the direction of the sewer being pulled.

The SDR17 is ridgid, but it will bend. Changing direction is not bad.

The only bad thing about pulling a sewer is the fact if the old sewer has and backfall, the new sewer will also.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
That usually doesn't work going around a 90 degree bend.

I have pulled through 2- 90's before, it is tricky, but can be done and can change the direction of the sewer being pulled.

Try that here you just might find yourself stuck!

We have these things in the ground that look like potatoes only they are bigger, heavier, and harder. straighten out an elbow or, 2 here you'll be changing to a dig!:eek:

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
I got verbal estimates of about $100/ft for relining w/ an epoxy liner. I've got nearly 90ft and one 90 too.

Jason

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
sewer

A 65 year old concrete sewer line that is not completely infested with roots at every 2' joint borders on miraculous. Even the fact that it still appears to be flowing continually downhill is amazing.

Matt L1

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. The plumber was recommending a fiber glass liner with epoxy resin that is held in place while the epoxy cures with an air filled bladder. He said he would probably dig the pit at the 90, and run it both ways from there. He said that they provide a 50 year warranty, but when he said he would have to come another time for an estimate I figured it was going to be expensive.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sewer Pipe Liner

That Sounds Like Perm A Liner And Thats How I Would Say To Do It From The 90 Both Ways Then Install C/o Tee Where 90 Used To Be

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks