(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Protecting MC wires in PT framing

Default Protecting MC wires in PT framing

Thinking of framing my basement in PT lumber (I've seen what decades of basement moisture does to framing). I'll be running MC cabling because I'll have foam insulation up against the outside walls. My question is, are there grommets of some kind (presumably of plastic) that I can use to protect the wires when they go through the PT lumber?

I guess an alternative is running PVC conduit but (a) it's a lot of conduit and (b) on the wall where the circuit panel sits, there would be a lot of conduit.

Default On second thoughts....

From the EPA..... Maybe I'll stick to PT for the plates.....

Toxicity. Ingestion of formaldehyde leads to damage to the mucous membranes of mouth, throat, and intestinal tract; severe pain, vomiting, and diarrhea result. Inhalation of low concentrations can lead to irritation of the eyes, nose, and respiratory tract. Inhalation of high concentrations of formaldehyde causes severe damage to the respiratory system and to the heart, and may even lead to death. Other symptoms from exposure to formaldehyde include: headache, weakness, rapid heartbeat, symptoms of shock, gastroenteritis, central nervous system depression, vertigo, stupor, reduced body temperature, and coma. Repeated contact with skin promotes allergic reactions, dermatitis, irritation, and hardening. Contact with eyes causes injuries ranging from minor, transient injury to permanent blindness, depending on the concentration of the formaldehyde solution. In addition, menstrual disorders and secondary sterility have been reported in women exposed to formaldehyde.

Carcinogenicity. Formaldehyde is a probable human carcinogen via both inhalation and oral exposure, based on limited evidence in humans and sufficient evidence in animals.

I don't think pressure treated lumber has formaldehyde in it. HCOH is found in plywood, carpet, probably laminatedbeams, etc. PT has stuff a lot worse for you than formaldehyde, but not very air mobil.

Licensed Electrical Contractor Speedy Petey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    From the EPA..... Maybe I'll stick to PT for the plates.....
    Good call!

Default Pt

If you need PT studs for the walls, then you have a bigger issue than what kind of wires to install.