Toilet flange way too high. Can it be cut down to floor level.

Users who are viewing this thread

chenn49117

Reaction score
I'm glad I found this forum. Our house has settled over the years to the point where a toilet and shower backed up with solids on the first floor. It was because the waste pipe from the toilet that ran into the main waste stack had gradually shifted into a positive pitch as the house settled. The bathroom was really old so we decided to re-do it but I didn't want to put in new fixtures until I got the correct negative pitch back in the plumbing lines. I gutted the bathroom and jackhammered the concrete to expose the lines (everything PVC). Then I was able to fix the plumbing so that the shower and toilet lines were returned to their proper negative pitch. But, I had to raise the toilet about 5" because the settling problem was that bad. (we've since stabilized the whole foundation and hopefully there will be no more settling). My problem is that now the new toilet flange (PVC and metal) and the new waste pipe elbow (PVC) that the flange connects to sticks up about 4-5 whole inches above the old floor. I don't want to build a 5" platform. I would like to lower the flange to floor level. I have not put in a new floor or glued any piping together yet. I've only dry fitted. Is there any way to lower the toilet flange that much?? Thanks very much for your time.

Chenn49117

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Only if the horizontal run is deep enough...you need room for the elbow, riser, and flange, so the pipe has to be deep enough to allow the top opening at floor level.

chenn49117

Reaction score
Toilet Flange Way Too High

Thanks Jim,
I am going to post up some pictures of the parts involved and the situation. They will be up on Friday night or Saturday. That may help.

chenn49117

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks