can't get toilet flush with floor after installing new wax ring

Users who are viewing this thread

Franner11

Reaction score
hey guys, fran here.
having issues with reinstalling my toilet. i just installed new slate tile and put a new flange in where the old was.
i ended up getting one of those flanges that fits inside the 3" pipe and not the regular ones that fits outside the pipe. it's a long story as to why, but is that ok to use?
so, after i tiled, i ended up tiling too close to the pipe, so i had to dremel out some thinset and some of the slate so the flange would sit flush on top of the new tile. that was completed and leveled, and screwed through the flooring with stainless steel screws.
so everything looked perfect - dry installed the toilet without the wax ring and it sat flsuh on the floor. so far so good, but when i installed the wax ring onto the flange and then sat the toilet on top, the toilet is now about 1/4" to 1/2" off the floor.
what do i do to get the toilet to be flush? do i push it down onto the wax ring? seems right now it's not going any further down.
do i need to lower the flange? find some shims?
i can post pictures tonight if you'd like to see what it looks like. please tell me i don't need to unscrew the flange just for a picture - i don't want to strip the screws.
help!
thanks guys!
fran

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It sounds like you used a wax ring with the plastic horn in it...THROW IT OUT and buy just a wax ring, problem solved.

If the toilet sits flush on the floor without the wax ring, it WILL fit once you install one.

Franner11

Reaction score
awesome - that's exactly what it is - thanks so much - i'll give it a shot.
so glad that's such an easy fix!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I realize it's already a done deal, but it was not a good idea to use a 3" flange that fit inside the pipe. These cut the inside diameter of the pipe too much and can, operative word, "can", cause problems with clogging. I hope you will not have this problem, but if you do start having clogs, that may well be the cause and have to be dealt with. Those rings with the plastic horns should be outlawed. Problem is, they look like a great idea, but in reality, they cause problems, and not just the one you had.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks