Video diagnosis of Sanitary Drain line

Users who are viewing this thread

Rfsmith48

Reaction score
Folks,

My house was built on the cheap about 35 years ago, with little or no inspection during the build.

I have been Roto-rooting the Sanitary drain once a year, (Approx.) for the past 20 years.

It seems like it would be useful to get a Video scan of the line to determine where the intrusion occurs. Are they cost effective? What is a typical charge? (The house is setback 30' from the street, the street is 35' wide.)

If/when the scan finds a section of damaged/collapsed pipe, what are the repair options?

Am I just better off Snaking this line until I move?

Thanks in Advance,

Rog Smith

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
If you require snaking once a year something ain't right. I would definitely recommend a camera inspection of the line. Seeing what is wrong and where it is located is the first step in having a trouble free line. Once the size of the area to be repaired and its depth is known you will be able to get a price for repair. It is then that you can decide if you want it fixed or you can keep on snaking til one day when even that won't work.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
The company by the same name as what you have been doing once a year will, in most cases, camera the line free so they can give you a bid. At least here they do. You want to camera it right after they snake it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
camera

Many 'plumbing companies" that give "free" camera inspections always find a reason that the sewer has to be replaced or seriously repaired. Sort of going to the eye doctor for an examination and always needing glasses. I always use an independent locating company, that way there is never a conflict of interest in the diagnosis. It usually runs in the neighborhood of $300-$400.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks