Brown stuff in my water.

Users who are viewing this thread

oilyfishhead

Reaction score
Oh no, another thread about brown stuff. :)

Hi y'all. I just found this forum and thought maybe I could get some advice.

My well is 215 feet deep. Water comes up to 25 feet. The pump is at 70 feet. My water gets this cloudy brown stuff in it. It is fine enough that a paper cartridge will only get about 75% of it. The brown stuff will settle out if it sits for for a while. (i.e. in the toilet.) If I run the water, before the filter, for an hour it clears up. If I shut off the water, it will be brown again the next day. I have no fancy equipment in the system. Pump is in the hole. Water goes to the accumulator then through a paper cartridge filter(useless) then to the house. The cartridge filter will be mostly clogged in about 2 weeks.

Any suggestions?

thanks

oilyfishhead

Reaction score
I'll get it tested.

Why would the depth of the pump be a concern? That's the way it was when I bought it. It flows plenty. I can fill my swimming pool in a couple of days with a 3/4" hose.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
If you have iron in the water, and it is easily oxidized, it will oxidize in the water at the top of the well long before deeper water because of the top of the water column being in touch with air in the well. And then the draw down of the well exposes the surface of the well and the water on it will oxidize more iron which can make the water discolored.

Also, the water below/under the inlet of the pump is all unusable, stagnant water just laying there in many cases with a rock bore type well. And a fully cased and screened type well in sand and gravel, usually has the pump set at the area of screen with the most gpm flow.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks