Help with Upper water heater element.

Users who are viewing this thread

tlong_66

Reaction score
The lower water heater element is out in my water heater (Rheem brand) and i'm getting ready to change it (never done it before). Everyone tells me to change both the upper and lower at the same time .... makes sense to me. So i have the lower element but i can't find a upper elemt matching mine at any of the local hardware stores ..... , Lowes or Home Depot. Mine is small with two screw terminals the ones they have are bigger with 6 or 7 terminals and different markings. I'm not sure which of those terminals to use if i can use any of them. I have included a pic.

P1000186.jpg

Peevee

Reaction score
The element is the big hex shaped nut that goes inside the tank. The little box with numbers and wires on it is the thermostat.

tlong_66

Reaction score
Ok i was a bit confused. I was thinking the thermostat with the lower element was what i needed changed. Here is a pic of the upper element. So i just have to get another screw in type. Next question. When i put them in does it matter which terminal on the elemnt goes to which lead on the thermostat?

P1000191.jpg

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Now tell me how you figured out what was wrong!
What did you measure and where?
What was the voltage supplied to the upper element?
Did it switch over to the lower element?
What was the voltage supplied to the lower element?
What was the resistance of the upper element?
What was the resistance of the lower element?

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
heater

You have absolutely no idea what the problem is, nor do you have the equipment and experience to test it. You also do not know how to repair it. Call a plumber and have him test the entire system and replace the things that ARE defective. Usually the upper element get so little use that it almost never goes bad, unless the lower one has been defective for some time causing the upper one to handle the entire load.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks