Basement: 4" Double WYE a bad idea?

Users who are viewing this thread

Tim429

Reaction score
Attached is a crude drawing of my plans for draining (under basement slab) a toilet, shower, vanity and kitchen sink. Unfortunately it's not to scale. 2 questions:

1. Is it a bad idea to drain the toilet and shower to the 4" double WYE?
2. How do I install a 4" WYE (or whatever part I deceide to use) to the main drain? I can't slide it in because the main drain won't move.

Thanks!!
Tim :confused:

Attachments

• Tim429 Bath.jpg
    Tim429 Bath.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 593

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Can't help you as to whether that is the right fitting, but you'd cut off enough to allow you to install a stub into the pvc fitting, then use a no-hub connector to make the actual connection. That way, you'd be connecting same-size pipe, rather than trying to insert something into a hub. The sleeve will slide entirely over the stub, then once it is in place (there should be almost no gap), slide the fitting over and clamp it in place. Since it will be underground, you shouldn't need the sleeved version - just make sure to backfill properly. See what the pros have to say...

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
1)In most , if not all juresdictions, double wye's are not allowed on a horizontal run. They are only used on a vertical application. You may have to find space to install to regular y's.

2) what jadnashua said.

Tim429

Reaction score
no hub coupling

Thanks! Is the attached link an example of a no-hub connector? By "sleeve" do you mean that I won't need a stainless steel "cover" over the black rubber material? Will the coupling stand the test of time?

Also, I won't use the double wye. Whether it passes code or not it doesn't seem to make sense. Thanks again.

Example of coupling?
http://www.drillspot.com/products/31674/Fernco_Inc_P1056-150-125_1-1_2X1-1_4_Coupling

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You need the type with the cover above ground. Underground, the sleeve with the ss hose clamps is designed to last eons...just make sure to keep the ends close together and ensure you backfill properly so that the ends stay aligned properly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks