Help disolve Silicone from Tub

Users who are viewing this thread

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
I have a cast iron clawfoot tub that I am reusing in my bath remodel. The enamel on the inside of the tub is in great shape.

The problem is at some point someone added a shower to the tub but they did a hack job that consisted of a 2x4 framed wall that was siliconed to the top lip of the tub.

I now need to disolve gobbs and gobbs of silicone from the tub lip without damaging the enamel.

Any help?

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
use a razor knife

go out and get one of those tools that holds a razor blade

and they it use to clean paint off clear glasswindows panes.....

its aboutthe best way to get the majority of that crap off the tub, it will cut through it like butter....

then usually just plain laquer thinner or paint thinner
will take of f the very fine stuff that will be left...

SuperDaddy

Reaction score
Also, sometimes the real thin areas can just be rubbed off with your fingers. Start rolling your fingertip over top of the film and it should lift and peel up off of the tub.

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
All off! I bought some laquer thinner and a small bottle of silicone disolver at the Big Orange Store.

I have a nice shiny tub that looks like new. Found out the tub is a Kohler.

TorontoTim

Reaction score
How did the silicone remover work out for you? Was it DAP Silicone-be-Gone? I picked up a bottle to clean up a bit of excess silicone from my fiberglass Kohler shower, but haven't used it yet.

BTW - I for one would love to see pics of that shower contraption if you have any!

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
I'll look at the bottle later on an report back, here is a pic. I'll try and find a better one.

Attachments

• P1000352.jpg
    P1000352.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 1,702

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
Here is post silicone removal...i will follow up with more after pics.

Attachments

• DSC00061.jpg
    DSC00061.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 1,701

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm glad it worked out okay.

I've found that a 5 in 1 scraper/glazier knife works best for scraping old caulk. Razor knifes tend to dig in and can scratch the finish.The blades also break fairly quickly when the caulk is hard.

Attachments

• 5 in 1 Glazier Knife.jpg
    5 in 1 Glazier Knife.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 1,681

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
That was the scraper I used in my removal. I tried using the razor blade but ended up creating little nicks in the enamel since it is so sharp.

When it gets to the final small amounts a scouring 3m green/yellow type of sponge finished off the job.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks