(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Multiple check valves

Hybrid View

Default Multiple check valves

Hi Terry and all. New guy here with a question.

I have a typical well system with deep jet pump, a single backflow valve, and a bladder-type tank. Bladder preasure is correct and holding. All supply is 1". It's currently working(almost) OK. Problem is when I do the laundry, and the system's supplying hot AND cold water at the same time, the system takes 3-4 minutes to recharge. That's a long time for the pump to stay on. Question is, can I change over to 2 or 3 parallel checkvalves via a manifold to allow faster recharge? Is there any possibility of danger to the system by doing this? Thanks.

Best, Paul

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

The thing that hurts pumps is a short time inbetween starts. As long as the pump is not sucking air, running constantly isn't a big problem...leave well enough alone. The water moving through the pump tends to cool it. WHen it stops, that cooling stops. The heat can penetrate more, and repeated cycles when it can't cool down are your enemy.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Thanks for the quick reply. Point taken.

OT, but I had to laugh about the Nokia ploy. Just the other day I got a call that registered no name and 777-777-7777 as the phone number on caller ID. It was some guy trying to give away a free phone to sign up with Sprint-Nextel service. I wouldn't even talk to him, let alone give up any personal info. Do they really think that we're that stupid(?)!!

Best, Paul

Well pumps are rated continuous duty, so running them constantly doesn't harm them at all.

Repeated starting does if they aren't shut off long enough to cool between starts. That's because of heat build up. And jet pumps are more susceptible to heat damage because it is the motor that dies from the heat, their motor is not water cooled as a submersible pump motor is. Wet ends rarely get warm as long as the pump is moving water. If a jet pump loses prime and is run, it only takes a few minutes and the impeller can be damaged.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

Thanks Gary

Previous member

Jadnashua, the Cable and Satellite folks won't let you get their service without a SS # either. I agree it's stupid. When I got my SS card (when I was 14 years old) I remember on the bottom in big black letters saying this card is not to be used for Identification purposes. What's up with that???

bob...