Drop-in Whirlpool

Users who are viewing this thread

Bob1234

Reaction score
I'm replacing a Kohler Memoirs whirlpool (which was defective) with another. Plumber "A" installed the drop-in tub using a mortar base as the "feet" of the whirlpool were about 2.5 inches off the enclosure floor. Plumber "B" removed the old tub and mortar. The second tub was again dropped on the enclosure lip, the "feet" were again off the enclosure floor, and he elected to use an expanding foam between the feet and the floor. The install instructions stated that either a mortar based or wood shims could be used. I'm not sure if Plumber "B" method is ok or not. I'd prefer to not fall through the floor while using the whirlpool, or have the tiled enclosure lip break. I'm thinking of placing wood shims under the whirlpool at both ends and the middle. Maybe this is too much -- I just don't know. All advice would be greatly appreciated.

Bob

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
support

Expanding foam under the feet is useless. It has to be between the floor and the tub bottom to support the unit. You can use mortar under the feet because that will not crush under a load.

Bob1234

Reaction score
So, if the entire area between the bottom of the whirlpool and the enclosure was "foamed", then would that be ok, or does the whirlpool have to be removed and a mortar base be used?
Again, thanks in advance
Bob

WestcoastPlumber

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.wcplumbing.biz
I have cut wood shims, used them, then used a can of spray foam to hold them in and insulate the the bottom of the unit to reduce sound.

the foam holds the wood shims in place.

I have also used mortar.

just foam alone is worthless.

Bob1234

Reaction score
So, what about removing the foam from the tub feet, using wood shims (probably 2x4's) between the feet and the floor, not using mortar, and then just omitting the foam altogether? Would I be ok then?
Bob

WestcoastPlumber

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.wcplumbing.biz
So, what about removing the foam from the tub feet, using wood shims (probably 2x4's) between the feet and the floor, not using mortar, and then just omitting the foam altogether? Would I be ok then?
Bob

As long as the shims are tight under the "legs", go ahead and foam them in, and then use can foam to do under the tub also, this will help insulate from noise and viberation.

Bob1234

Reaction score
Update. I removed the foam and used 2x4 and 1x4 to shim the four corners and one center leg. Seems very stable and took the weight off of the enclosure's tiled top. I'm going to separately foam around the shims and the tub bottom. Thanks again. This was a much better way to retro-secure the whirlpool without removing it , using mortar, and then re-setting it. It also reduces the weight on the support beams. Great help. Thanks.
Bob

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks