tankless heater for very small house

Users who are viewing this thread

bukzin

Reaction score
Need new water heater, thinking about a tankless system.

Here are some details:

total remodel of 600 sq. ft. house (40 year old gas unit gone)
large clawfoot tub
both natural gas and 220volts (200amp) available
one occupant (no kids)
located in northern Calif (very mild winters)

What else is relevant to weigh the choice?

I have done a fair amount of reading on the pros and cons
but am having a hard time picking a path.

Thoughts?

Bukzin

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
tankless technology

They are really not all that reliable for a lot of reasons,

though you are living by yourself and are more eligible to
tolerate one than a full family could.

Click on this link then
go to the bottom of the page and their is information about tankless water heaters that might sway your opinion about them

http://www.weilhammerplumbing.com/products/

have fun

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You mentioned a tub. If you are fond of baths, as opposed to showers, it would take 15 to 20 minutes to fill a tub, since a small tankless puts out a very low gallons per minute.

If you take showers only, the tankless would suffice, but you must decide if the high initial cost and I believe long payback period are worth it. Couple that with high installation cost, and much higher normal routine maintenance required compared to a regular WH....you decide.

mrjetskey

Reaction score
My father now lives alone in a 1100 ' home with one bathtub.He has a small 20 or so gallon electric hot water heater.under the kitchen cabinet ,it way more than suffices for the bathtub and dishwater.plus you can fill the tub fast.very cost efficent for 1 person. JMHO. ps.I owned a tankless water heater and the are fantastic when they work.after 5 years of at least one cold shower every 2 months,I trashed it and installed a 50 gal.for me and wife.

bukzin

Reaction score
cold showers?

What do you suppose is the reason for the cold showers?

Was another fixture being used? Or???

Has your Dad had the same problem?

thanks,
Bukzin

Sparks98

Electrician
Reaction score
Electric sucks. Do go with AquaStar's (Bosch) standard model. It doesn't matter how big the model, it's the demand. I have one and will NEVER go back to tank heaters. Higher demand, never runs out, cheaper on the gas bill and you'll never come home to a flooded area when it goes. They are rated for 35 years.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks