Drip from vent pipe connecting to kitchen drain

Users who are viewing this thread

ks cowboy

Reaction score
Occassionally, there is a drip from the pipe directly above the kitchen drain where the double sink connects to this drain. The dishwasher is beside the sink. The connecting pipe above all this must be the vent pipe because it goes into the wall, whereas all the others pvc pipes are through the floor. This does not seems to happen all the time. Does this indicate a stoppage and the water is backing up into this pipe.

Thanks for your suggestions.
:(

e-plumber

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Leaking Pipe

There has to be a defect in the vent or drainage piping if it leaks and the leak is not obvious to the eye.
Even if the piping was full of water, nothing should leak out of it.
You may have a partial restriction in the drain line and it causes the water in the piping to rise and reach the possibly deteriorated part of it and leak out.

Deb

Plumber
Reaction score
Deb

I am a little confused by your description:
"The connecting pipe above all this must be the vent pipe because it goes into the wall, whereas all the others pvc pipes are through the floor" This simply does not make sense to me and I cannot picture your set up.

Generally the undersink drain lines--actually the horizontal arm of the p-trap--go to a trap arm in the wall--you never see the vent connection or where the drainage line goes through the floor. There is a san tee--the pipe out of the top is the vent, the bottom is the drain, the horizontal is the trap arm. What exactly do you have?

Deb
The Pipewench

ks cowboy

Reaction score
Drip from vent pipe of kitchen sink

I think e-plumber may have the answer. The drip comes from the connection point of the vent pipe and the elbow piece that connects to the drain.

I apologize for the poor description. The only pvc pipe going into the bottom of the cabinet and into the floor is the drain pipe. Deb, your description fits my layout. My home is more than 100 years old. This may be the reason that most of the plumbing is inside the sink base cabinet. The carpenters did manage to get a vent pipe to go up through the wall and out the roof when new cabinets were installed 8 years earlier.

Now what do I do with the dripping connection?

Thanks

LonnythePlumber

Plumber, Contractor, Attorney
Reaction score
Our Kansas Plumbing

We have had many houses with s traps that go through the floor. Deb has probably seen more than I. But they don't drain well and will pull out the trap seal and the sink stinks like toilet. Some people don't like that. It was good the carpenters got in a vent pipe but it obviously needs to be connected better to the drain pipe. If the vent pipe is steel then they usually rust out at the threads above the drain connection. Feed some more info to our hungry plumbing responders and a better idea of the repair needed can be offered.

ks cowboy

Reaction score
Drip from vent pipe of kitchen sink

One more reason to acquire a digital camera! It is a double sink. The sink on the right has a horizontal drain line 14"-15" that connects to the drain of the sink on the left, about 3" below this--is a conection to the trap. The trap connects to the drain about 10" to the left. Above this connection--there is an elbow up (this is the point of the drip, also has formed some sort of dark soiling) to connect to the 7" horizontal line that goes to elbow into the wall, then the vent pipe goes up from there. All of this being pvc pipe. I am not sure if there are any threaded parts or if the horizontal piece is glued into the elbow. I realize this amatuer description is difficult to picture. The really confusing thing about the dripping, is that it seems to drip when water is run through the drain of the sink on the right.

Wish I could explain this more clearly. Thanks for any suggestions.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks