Pex to Hot Water Heater

Users who are viewing this thread

ematzen

Reaction score
Quick question: Because of the condition of all of my galvanized hot water pipes, I have decided to totally replumb the house with wirsbo pex. Small ranch, shouldn't be difficult. I am new to pex, but am a good diy. I want to connect directly to the hot water heater. I purchased the water heater fittings, etc... but am wondering if it is ok for a little of the pex to poke through the wall into my garage to connect to the hot water fittings (the metal hose). I know that pex is UV sensitive. Would this be another appropriate place to use a copper stub-out instead? Or should I run copper through the wall into the attic, where I could then tie into the pex? Should I be so concerned about UV in my garage (sometimes I leave the door open...)

Thanks in advance.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Uv

Unless the sun can shine directly onto it, which would mean a tall door or a heater close to the door, you don't have to worry about UV. What you do have to worry about is connecting the PEX directly to the water heater. You should have a heat buffer of about 18" of copper.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
As HJ said you need 18" of metal pipe between the water heater and the PEX. You could play it safe on the UV exposure and put pipe insullation over the PEX. As HJ said you probably will not have a problem with UV.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks