weight stuck in well

Users who are viewing this thread

graysilm

Reaction score
I've done something really stupid. I tied a small bolt to some nylon string, and then inserted the bolt and string through a 5/8" spark plug socket to use as a weight to figure out how deep my well is. I thought that by tying the string to the bolt and running it through the socket would keep the socket in a vertical position. Evidently not. Now the socket is stuck in the well, 40 feet down. My well is a 2" 40' galvanized shallow well. Is the socket stuck on the screen at the bottom of the well? I have tried pulling and popping the string and nothing will free it up. How did I get myself into this one. Please give me suggestions if there are any. What if the socket is permantly stuck in the well? Will this ruin the well?

Speedbump

Reaction score
Sounds like the only answer is to give it a hard tug and hope you get most of the string out. Since we don't know what's in this well beside the socket and bolt, we don't know what problems might stem from your leaving it in there.

bob...

detra

Reaction score
You might try use the line that is stuck as a guide for a heavier line with something on the end that may dislodge your socket.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You might try use the line that is stuck as a guide for a heavier line with something on the end that may dislodge your socket.

Yea might as well see if you can get some more stuff stuck down there... How about a kitchen sink!:eek:

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Since it is only 40 feet down, get yourself some 1/2" PVC pipe or conduit and glue it into a long stick so you can try tapping on that thing to knock it loose.

I would put a tee on the top that would allow you to put a rod through so it can't drop into the well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks