DirecTV Satellite dish mount

Users who are viewing this thread

DIY

Reaction score
Hi all!

The almost perfect spot for my direcTV dish to be mounted is on a clear portion (no cable ,no fastners etc.) on a riser or weather head post that goes through my roof decking and sticks up vertically @ 2-3' above the roof.
Ideas,thoughts,absolutes here,suggestions ? I'd rather not mount the dish on facia board on the gable end,or stick a post in the yard that the dish mounts on if i can help it.

Thanks to all once again!!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It is crucial that the post be perfectly plumb, or it is a major pain to align things, also, there should be no movment - it needs to be rigid. The current disk is trying to view 5-satellites, and exact, fixed pointing is required. Other than that, you may have a bunch of RG6 cables running to it. If you have a good way to get them where they need to go, it should work. If you have the DVR, it needs two RG6 cables by itself, one for each internal receiver.

DIY

Reaction score
direcTV DISH

Thanks for the reply Jadnashua,
Yep i read that about the direcTV dish...It needs a sturdy base and needs to be plumb and level..they also said a degree off could make the reception crappy depending on several factors. I have a good route for the cables to take luckily the cables don't need to go that far. (From the dish down the weather mast with zip ties on cable(s) ,then take the cable(s) down the roof all of @ 3-4' run the cable down and around the drip edge then staple cable to truss /eve area all nice like,then through a bird block screen ,and run the rest of the cable through the attic to it's destination.)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Be really careful when stapling coax...compressing it can creat problems.

Brownizs

In the Trades
Reaction score
Wait a minute. You are wanting to strap your Dish to the Electrical Weather Head? Sorry, but that is a no by NEC, and with the fact, that if the unit or wires short to the Electrical Feeder lines, you can kiss things goodbye.

Do yourself a favor and either mount to the ground with a firmly secure piece of Fence pipe, or mount to the structure properly.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
rabbitears.jpg

DIY

Reaction score
Directv Dish

Brownizs ,
I did not want to mount the dish directly on the weather head. If this was possible it was to be mounted well below the actual weather head,and below any incoming/outgoing service cables and fastners. I'd rather checkout/findout all logical and not so logical possibilities before maybe trying them. Anyhow, I am finding out better options than directv,so for now it goes back up on the shelf. Thanks for the reply.

Brownizs

In the Trades
Reaction score
About time. I was wondering when they would control the Fly By night installers, and put some kind of check and balances in place. Now if all the rest of the states could follow lead.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
Read Article 800 of the NEC and you will see that it has always been part of the codes that all installations of cable TV, or any type of reciever comply with the codes.

This means a permit and inspection

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
Read Article 800 of the NEC and you will see that it has always been part of the codes that all installations of cable TV, or any type of reciever comply with the codes.

This means a permit and inspection

I have never seen a permit required for a dish install, not that I disagree with you, but it just never happens... at least now in Connecticut your required some degree of training. Also, have you ever seen a catv company get a permit for for installing catv?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks