PEX Stub Out with Pedestal Sink

Users who are viewing this thread

ematzen

Reaction score
I am re plumbing my house using the Uponor pex system. Unfortunately, I can only purchase parts online. I will be installing a pedestal sink where the valves will be visible. Does anyone have any images of what this would look like with drop ear and a chrome sleeve? Would this look good, or should I use copper stub outs...would that look good? I feel the copper would look awkward, since the valves will be chrome... Any suggestions? Any recommendations? I need to tackle this asap, as my wife doesn't like how long our bathroom has been out of commission.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You can attach a compression valve directly to pex. The valves are the same as for copper, but you need the internal ferrule to strengthen it so the compression seal works. Or, if you use the copper stubouts, you can cut that off so you have the appropriate amount sticking out of the wall, then use a compression shutoff on that as if the whole thing was copper. Using the copper stubout and their brace for it would give the strongest connection. Since the shutoffs aren't really used much, I think either method would work well.

What you may not want to do is solder on a shutoff with the pex connection close...it might work, but I'd be somewhat worried about the heat from soldering it. If you use the copper stubouts with the brace, solder them to the brace, then make the pex connection to it. This may be overkill, but probably not a bad idea for the non-pro.

ematzen

Reaction score
Follow-up Question

Hi Jim - So are you suggesting that, if I use the copper stub-out, that I could cut it down far enough to only have the compression valve visable? This might seem a little backwards, but what if I used a drop-ear elbow that connected to 1/2" galvanized (or nice, brushed nickel, etc...), then connected the galvanized to the valve? Is that too bush league? It would look nice...

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
First off, forget galvanized entirely...it should have NO place in a modern water supply system.

Yes, just use the 'standard' decorative flange, and size the stub so the shutoff hides all the copper, or do the same thing with pex.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
stub

Why would it look awkward, or counterproductive, to have the copper cut short so all you see is the valve and flange? It is what we do when the system is all copper. But NO GALVANIZED. Brass or chrome nipples only if you use the drop ear elbow.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks