Sediment Question

Users who are viewing this thread

tcgt

Reaction score
I have a drilled well about 300' deep and I have noticed an increase in the amount of sediment I am getting. The well is about 6 years old.

I called the well company who drilled the well and he suggested the following:

1) Let the pump run continuously for about 2-3 hours to see if the sediment can be flushed out. The exit point of the water would be before the filter.

2) If this doesn't work, install a separation system at the inlet of pump. He said Lakos makes a system for this.

3)In addition to number 2, he would install a spin down filter with the ball valve plumbed to the outside. I think Rusco makes a filter like this.

The water coming out of the tastes good, doesn't smell, doesn't turn anything red/pink inside the house. So, I think the overall quality is good.

Is my well guy on the right track? Are there other alternatives I need to take a look? I live in the SE and as you might know, we have been in a drought lately. We have gotten some badly needed rain lately and the well guy said that the new rain fall could be bringing in some of the sediment.

Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

Speedbump

Reaction score
If your going to flush the well, the best way is to run it full blast as close to the well as possible so as not to restrict it's flow.

bob...

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have a drilled well about 300' deep and I have noticed an increase in the amount of sediment I am getting. The well is about 6 years old.

I called the well company who drilled the well and he suggested the following:

1) Let the pump run continuously for about 2-3 hours to see if the sediment can be flushed out. The exit point of the water would be before the filter.

2) If this doesn't work, install a separation system at the inlet of pump. He said Lakos makes a system for this.

3)In addition to number 2, he would install a spin down filter with the ball valve plumbed to the outside. I think Rusco makes a filter like this.

Is my well guy on the right track? Are there other alternatives I need to take a look? I live in the SE and as you might know, we have been in a drought lately. We have gotten some badly needed rain lately and the well guy said that the new rain fall could be bringing in some of the sediment.

Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

His suggestions 2 and 3 based on a phone call seem to be a shotgun attack on the problem without enough information. They will cost you a lot of money and you have absolutely no assurance that they will improve the problem.

If this is a deep well as the depth suggests (although you don't mention the depth to water in the well) you probably have a submersible pump. I don't know how the Lakos filter system would work on the inlet of a submersible pump.

Then he suggests a spin-down filter without looking at the particle size. Spin-sown filters work only with large particle sizes. If you are getting large particle sizes then the bottom of the well is probably filling up with sand.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks