High PH & Hard Water

Users who are viewing this thread

macdarty

Reaction score
I have a PH of 9.3 SU and a Hardness of 3.6 mg/L. Culligan had installed a chlorine injection & carbon bed to remove the sulfer smell but our plumbing is repeatedly being repaired ( shower valves . Culligan now is recomending a acid injection system to lower the PH and remove suspended sulfer ? any coments ??
thanks macdarty

macdarty

Reaction score

good point but the well installer want to sell a water softner but i don't have hard water .. it just acts like it.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
What is the raw water pH or is this 9.3 pH from before the equipment?

The acceptable pH is from 6.5-8.5. What is the high pH doing to your plumbing? Or how do you know it is the pH that is causing problems?

When you use chlorine, it raises the pH. Is there too much chlorine being injected?

The only way to reduce pH is with acid.

macdarty

Reaction score
Ph

the test was done post treatment not at well head. i do suspect the carbon bed needs rebuilding ... culligan advised us to increase chlorine until we no longer had a sulfer smell .. our problem is pitted fixtures ,clogged shower valves. section of plastic plumbing have white powder or hard black build up at copper elbows.

Speedbump

Reaction score
culligan advised us to increase chlorine until we no longer had a sulfer smell .. our problem is pitted fixtures ,clogged shower valves. section of plastic plumbing have white powder or hard black build up at copper elbows.

That's one of many reasons I discourage the use of Chlorine.

bob...

macdarty

Reaction score

I have green mineral deposits on chrome shower heads & rush on cheap chrome soap holders. Pitting on chrome drain heads. When we moved in the plastic plumbing had black hard rock at elbows that blocked all flow to several bathrooms. Now were seeing off white power in the whole house filter, elbows, tolit tanks, and shower mixing valves. Cullligan thinks it is sulfer in suspension.
No we do not smell chlorine. I'm buying a chlorine & PH tester while the well people will test inside and at the well again for free.

mac

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
That doesn't mean there is something in the water causing those problems with the fixtures, it could be the quality of those parts or cleansers and soaps used.

Green is usually corroded brass or copper deposits.

The stuff in the pipes is definitely caused by the water and probably is stained water hardness scale.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks