(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: High PH & Hard Water

Hybrid View

Default High PH & Hard Water

I have a PH of 9.3 SU and a Hardness of 3.6 mg/L. Culligan had installed a chlorine injection & carbon bed to remove the sulfer smell but our plumbing is repeatedly being repaired ( shower valves . Culligan now is recomending a acid injection system to lower the PH and remove suspended sulfer ? any coments ??
    thanks macdarty

Previous member

Are you really willing to give them a second chance???

bob...

Default reply

good point but the well installer want to sell a water softner but i don't have hard water .. it just acts like it.

What is the raw water pH or is this 9.3 pH from before the equipment?

The acceptable pH is from 6.5-8.5. What is the high pH doing to your plumbing? Or how do you know it is the pH that is causing problems?

When you use chlorine, it raises the pH. Is there too much chlorine being injected?

The only way to reduce pH is with acid.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

Default Ph

the test was done post treatment not at well head. i do suspect the carbon bed needs rebuilding ... culligan advised us to increase chlorine until we no longer had a sulfer smell .. our problem is pitted fixtures ,clogged shower valves. section of plastic plumbing have white powder or hard black build up at copper elbows.

You need a test on the raw water to be able to compare the two readings to see if the chlorination is causing the high pH.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

Previous member

culligan advised us to increase chlorine until we no longer had a sulfer smell .. our problem is pitted fixtures ,clogged shower valves. section of plastic plumbing have white powder or hard black build up at copper elbows.
    That's one of many reasons I discourage the use of Chlorine.

bob...