journeyman

Users who are viewing this thread

gizza job

Plumber
Reaction score
Hey up out there just a quickie, could anyone just describe the term "journeyman plumber" coz im new to this side o the pond and dont really get it.

thanks,

gizza job - hopefully soon to be called - gotta job

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The term "journeyman" comes from the old guild system where young men came into a trade as an apprentice, and when they finally became proficient in the trade they would be classified as journeymen and could travel to other places to ply their skills.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Not all states have a formal system, but some do. An apprentice is a new trainee, possibly some classroom training under his belt, possibly he works as an apprentice during the day and classes at night. An apprentice is not supposed to work unsupervised. In some states, there has to be one journeyman for each apprentice on the job.

The journeyman level in most areas calls for a minimum 5 years on the job, followed by an exam which may be just written, on code and other issues, and in some states also requires performance of actual tasks, like leading or soldering.

Then, in some states, there is the Master Plumber cagtegory. After several years as journeyman, you take more tests. A Master Plumber can own a business and employ journeymen and apprentices.

These terms also are used within the trade union system , if you are a union member.

Then there is California. No licenses for apprentices, journeymen, master. If you can show somehow that you have worked for 5 years, then you take a written test, which is not too strenuous, and get a Plumbing Contactor's License. With this, you can own a business, pull permits, employ anyone you feel like, and send them out to unsuspecting customers.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
thats interesting about California

Then there is California. No licenses for apprentices, journeymen, master. If you can show somehow that you have worked for 5 years, then you take a written test, which is not too strenuous, and get a Plumbing Contactor's License. With this, you can own a business, pull permits, employ anyone you feel like, and send them out to unsuspecting customers.

With California being a pain in the ass about everything
from lead in the faucets to emission controls on cars
it does not seem that they would be so lax when it came to protecting the consumers from being ripped off by
incompetent contractors.....

maybe everyone out there is just afraid to get their hands dirty and will let anyone who claims to be capable
and cheap do the dirty work for them.

gizza job

Plumber
Reaction score
thanks lads

Thanks for all your answers chaps, i now Know that ive got to pass the red seal test before i can call myself a journeyman.
are the codes pretty much the same in the states as they are in canada? and does anybody know where i can get acopy of the 2005 edition of the plumbing codes/

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
With California being a pain in the ass about everything
from lead in the faucets to emission controls on cars
it does not seem that they would be so lax when it came to protecting the consumers from being ripped off by
incompetent contractors.....

Apparently you are not aware of just WHO is in charge of most state and local governments. Or did you see the map in the advertisement for Absolut??

Quires un Taco Bell? Drop the Chalupa.

Last edited:

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
new avatar!

That's what ohio is like now. Get a contractor's license and you can do anything you want.

My ohio journeyman's license isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

You are correct,just when I wen`t to get my masters,THEY SWITCHED
IT ALL AROUND.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
You are correct,just when I wen`t to get my masters,THEY SWITCHED
IT ALL AROUND.

I was 3 months shy of getting my master's in ohio. I even called Elmer Weil the grand poo-bah to see if he could pull strings to let me get a number.....no can do.

I was screwed from the go because you had to have an active ohio journeyman's for 3 years before testing out for your master's.

We should just go ahead and say we gottem.....I'll take a spanking if need be. tuctuc.gif

Bombjay

Reaction score
With this, you can own a business, pull permits, employ anyone you feel like, and send them out to unsuspecting customers.
Funny as hell but true.We see this here
but with your craigslist handymen for hire.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks