Installing new Schedule 40 Bath Drain

Users who are viewing this thread

mi21stinf

Reaction score
I'm installing a new Schedule 40 Bath Drain with no instructions on a new Sterling 7112 tub.

According to the supplied materials I have the parts installed in the following order (bottom up):
1. plastic drain
2. rubber gasket
3. Tub
4. Strainer

The instructions I been able to find are for cast iron tubs and show using Plumbers Putty between the strainer and tub.

Other instructions state to never use plumbers putty on a plastic/fiberglass tub. But, don't tell what if anything to use.

Can anyone provide the recommended installation technique?

thanks,
BJR

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You can use Silicone RTV kitchen and bath caulk or, There is a new putty on the block that can be used...
Sta Put Ultra
A unique, professional grade non staining plumber's putty that is safe for most types of plumbing fixtures and surfaces. Unlike all other plumber's putty Sta Put Ultra is oil-free and can be used without pre-treatment. This includes natural, porous surfaces such as stone, marble, granite, plastics, rubber, and fiberglass, as well as grout and on manufactured sinks, shower bases, countertops, and other surfaces. Molds easily, remains permanently soft, malleable, and flexible. Sta Put Ultra does not melt, rot, crumble, dry out, or shrink. Easy to clean-up. Does not leave a greasy residue on hands or surfaces. Meets or exceeds Federal Specification A-A-3110 (formerly TT-P-1536A).
U.S. and foreign patents pending.

staput-ultra.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks