CPVC - Any problems with using this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Billy_Bob

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm thinking of using CPVC to replace some of my existing galvanized pipe.

I have been told to use copper.

My question is: Is there anything wrong with using CPVC? Would I later regret using CPVC for some reason?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
In my opinion, unless there are water conditions that corrode copper, using CPVC is being penny wise and pound foolish. Why would you want to use plastic instead of metal? You have essentially the same task of running pipes, solvent welding CPVC may be a bit easier than sweating copper, but only marginally. It is true that copper prices have gone totally crazy in recent months, but it is a superior product.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
CPVC just doesn't make sense to me... You have to run it like copper. Use a lot of fittings like copper and although its not as expensive as copper its still pricey.

I'd either use copper or, save a ton of money and time by using PEX.

Billy_Bob

In the Trades
Reaction score
...Why would you want to use plastic instead of metal?...

Actually I want to use this for my hot water line. I read that plastic does not conduct heat and my thinking is that the hot water would stay warm longer with this pipe as well as delivering hot water to the faucet sooner. (I will also insulate it.)

With PEX, I would have to buy expensive tools and this is a one time thing.

I have no problem using copper and I do prefer metal to plastic. Just that from what I have read, it seems plastic (CPVC) would be better for keeping the water warm/hot.

Ill spend one or two days installing the pipe, but 365 days a year using the water from that pipe. So would prefer the best design so far as using it goes (warm water sooner and longer before it cools).

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Best ways I know to do this are either a point of use heater or a recirculating pump with insulated copper pipes. The recirculating pump works very well for me in my home.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
it will work ok

it works ok..... it is just more flimsy.

i prefer the wirsbo pex over it but

I carry a few hundred feet in my truck....

and hasnt it been around for 40 years or more???...

actually as long as you use the right glues it is
probably better and more reliable than a
lot of the brands of PEX out there..

I have never heard of a recall on the CPVC pipe yet...

I HAVE heard some pretty good
nightmare stories about a
few prands of pex....

the only spot that I have ever seen troubles with cpvc is
usually at the connection to the water heaters
where it seems to get more brittle over the years.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I replumbed my house with CPVC (replacing copper) because of under-slab leaks. My new plumbing is overhead in an uninsulated attic, so the water held in the pipes -- both hot and cold -- is hot in the summer and cold in the winter. I don't think you'd notice much difference in heat/cold retention between CPVC and copper. I use an on-demand recirculating pump to get instant hot water, but haven't figured out how to get instant cold yet.

If I had it to do over again, I'd use PEX.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
In my opinion, unless there are water conditions that corrode copper, using CPVC is being penny wise and pound foolish. Why would you want to use plastic instead of metal? You have essentially the same task of running pipes, solvent welding CPVC may be a bit easier than sweating copper, but only marginally. It is true that copper prices have gone totally crazy in recent months, but it is a superior product.
There is no way to know if the water quality will change in the future and plastic is not damaged by anything in the water that is run through it.

The water quality can not be negatively effected by plastic as it can be by copper.

Plastic is much less expensive to buy and goes in much faster than copper. So my question would be why would anyone want copper other than its "beauty" and mistaken thinking that it is best based on longevity? ;)

And heat transfer if less in plastic than it is in copper.

Personally I like PEX except for the well water line from the well to the pressure tank, that should be PE. I don't like PEX or CPVC to water treatment equipment. I prefer PVC from the tank to the equipment and then from the equipment to a manifold for a PEX home run system.

Bill Arden

Computer Programmer
Reaction score
Website
www.billarden.com
use CPVC instead of copper except for when you need to keep O2 out like in a hydronic heating system.

Pros
1. You can cut and glue in a lot of places where you'd set the house on fire if you tried copper.
2. It never rusts.
3. Thieves never steel CPVC pipes. (...once they are installed)

Cons
1. It's not good in situations where it's hot all the time. so PEX would be better for "instant" hot water using a pump.
2. needs to be supported about twice as often as copper.
3. Looks?

PEX has it's own problems
1. Special tools OR expensive fittings.
2. Limited history. (will it last 100 years?)

PEX does have some advantages over CPVC and copper
1. freeze resistance.
2. flexibility

djh1973

Reaction score
Website
www.lovehammers.com
Glue eventually breaks down or becomes brittle. I just tore out a few hundred feet of CPVC and most of it snapped very easy, and some joints popped out with very little strain on them. They did not leak prior to them being ripped out. Of course, I do not know who put it in or how long ago, but it was all replaced with Copper. It will most likely outlast the house. You can buy pipe insulation if you are worried about losing temp, but I am willing to bet the loss would be very minimal.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
CPVC has been successfully used in industrial applications for years.

The smaller sizes (1/2" and 3/4") are available in the big-box stores. You should use the larger size on multifixture feeds and where flow rate is critical, such as a shower.

CPVC is available in Iron Pipe Sizes, though not in the usual big-box stores.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Glue eventually breaks down or becomes brittle. I just tore out a few hundred feet of CPVC and most of it snapped very easy, and some joints popped out with very little strain on them. ... it was all replaced with Copper. It will most likely outlast the house.
I suspect the joints were not done correctly. I've taken out a fair amount of CPVC joints installing water treatment equipment, pressure tanks and well pumps and I've never seen any type of plastic solvent welded joints come apart.

As to copper outlasting the house.... that depends on not allowing the many things that cause copper internal corrosion; like the water quality run through it, bacteria, if the tubing ends have been reamed and if done correctly, if it was fluxed correctly (a thin coating) with water soluble flux, if it is used for the building's ground electrode or has electrical grounds connected to it, if there is a hot water recirc system and if the velocity of the water is not too high etc. etc. etc..

I've seen new copper with pin holes within 2.5 years. And it takes up to 5 years before new copper stops adding copper to the water, and too much copper in your diet is a serious health concern, especially for children.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks