Deck Questions

Users who are viewing this thread

BigLou

Reaction score
Jason,
we have a 48" frost line around here and solid poured concrete tubes like you see in that picture are how all of our decks are built. I guess footers would work also just make sure to get ground contract rated posts which are probably a special order. I would back fill them with gravel so any water drains away.

Lou

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
My posts are rated for the ground contact ... treatment 0.6psf ... I have clay soil so water doesn't drain. Adding gravel would just guarantee that it stays wet no?

I was planning on putting a piece of cotton rope at the bottom of the post so that the water drains away. If I backfill using concrete and the post shrinks slightly water can get in. The rope will allow it to wick away between the layers.

Jason

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
The problem with back filling with concrete is that the wood will rot. You'll likely cut the life of your deck by just more than half. See Mikey's posts.

Tom

BigLou

Reaction score
Jason,
just wrap the post with a bitumen based product, like Grace Ice and Water Shield. If you really wanted make a mess and save some money any bitumen based coating would work to keep water out of the post

Lou

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Big Lou,

My understanding, and I could be wrong, is that you want the water to have a means of exiting the post. If the water cannot leave the post it will saturate and rot the post. Also my understanding is that concrete is corrosive to wood.

Is any of this off base. I've built several decks but never in clay. If he was working with dirt he would need to use pea gravel.

Never having done one, it's pretty self explanatory that pouring a concrete footer withone of those cyclinders is the best way to go. Though I have never done one that way. I've always used the pea gravel.

Tom

BigLou

Reaction score
Tom,
yes and no, you want water to leave the post, but it will wick up the post and dry. The problem with concrete is that it holds moisture against the bottom of the post so it can never dry. Coating the bottom of the post will keep it from absorbing excess ground water. I have never heard of concrete being corosive to wood only that it causes rot by keeping the end of the post damp. Wet wood will not rot, dry wood will not rot only damp wood

Lou

Lakee911

Reaction score
It is treated wood though. Non treated wood (hemlock fence posts for example) will definately rot.

Concrete and Aluminum don't mix, IIRC but I don't think wood and concrete is a problem....

Jason

BigLou

Reaction score
Jason,
I know they are treaded posts but if you keep then constantly wet they will eventually rot it takes some time but it will happen

Lou

Lakee911

Reaction score
Almost done ... need to paint rim joists and steps, add a few screws and landscape.

Thanks for everyone's help in answering questions and giving advice.

Prashster

Reaction score
Really nice!

One question: have u considered continuing the step all the way around the perimeter of the deck if yr not gonna have a railing?

Lakee911

Reaction score
Thanks.

Well, I plan on using that open space around it for landscaping. I'll have some bigger stuff that will help define the edge of the deck. Also, originally I planned on having the deck lower and I raised it to reduce the number of steps to the door. Because of that, my outter steps are attached to the deck on the back of them, but literally just sitting on the ground in the front. So, without a way to really pick them up, I didn't want to have steps all around.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There's a magic height number (I don't know it) where a railing is required. If you exceed that, it might come back to bite you. Steps all around is an alternative if you exceed the max height.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks