will extreme cold harm toilet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Macska

Reaction score
I bought a toilet last fall, with the full intention of installing it at the time. That did not happen and the toilet spent the winter (in Massachusetts) in an unheated garage. Is this something that might damage the toilet, like casue an internal crack that would not be visible? I don't want to take any chances so I'll buy a new toilet if necessary.

Thanks,

Macska (pronounced Much-kah)

Stu L.

Reaction score
While cold temperatures will not harm a toilet that is in storage and dry, cold temperatures can definitely harm your butt when you sit on a freezing toilet. If you sit on a freezing toilet directly out of the bath, your butt could stick to the seat much like your tongue would stick to a frozen aluminum lightpole. I once took a stinking dump into the frozen surface water of my cabin toilet, thinking that my steaming logs would melt through and everything would be ok. The melt-through definitely occured, but my supply pipe was also frozen. As cold as it was, I had to open the window to air out that badboy. Thank you.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
toilet

IF there was water in it then it could definitely freeze and crack, and since only prisoners and people using antivandalism toilets normally sit on a "metal" seat I think you are safe from being caught in an embarrassing position.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks