Choice in waterheaters

Users who are viewing this thread

casharon

Reaction score
I am building a small (120 sq ft) portable cabin for a client. I am wondering about the pros and cons of using a 6 gal propane water heater vs an on-demand heater. Someone told me the 6 gal heater means very short/lukewarm showers, others say that won't be a problem. Obviously, the on-demand heater will be considerably more expensive, so I don't want to go with that option unless I have to.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I wouldn't be thrilled with a 6 gallon water heater... You may want to check out an RV water heater...

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You might get 2-3 minutes out of a 6-gallon WH in a shower if you were lucky, with it cooling off all the time. With minimal simulataneous fixtures, a tankless might work but if it is used in the winter, the incoming water might mean you'd need a bigger one than expected to get the temperature rise and flow you may want.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
A regular 40 gallon heater would be taller than the 6 gallon heater, but it would take up about the same floor space. Without actually comparing the prices, I can't make a definitive statement, but I would be surprised if there was a great difference in price. Seems to me that the price difference would be worthwhile considering the amount of hot water available.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
go get an electric heater

If you are wise you will stay away from the

odd-ball propane heaters....

you can easily go out and get a 20 gallon or
30 gallon 110volt electric water heater

or better yet a short low boy 30 or 40 in 220v...

and rid yourself of any future troubles with
that small propane unit...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks