Generator .... any good?

Users who are viewing this thread

Entropy

Reaction score
Good Day,

I bought a TQ 3000 watt generator at Walmart yesterday. I plan on using it only for emergency power for my sump pump and possibly freezer, perhaps at times my sewage pump or well pump.
I relize I could only power one pump at a time with this generator.

It says it's a 3000 watt max and 2700 watt continuous.

Does anyone know if this brand is junk, or will it meet my 'emergency' needs.
Do you have one ??

Thanks,
Entropy

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Can't find the TQ 3000 but there is a TG 3000 by Eastern Tool.

http://www.easterntools.com/product_detail.asp?ProductID=6

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P9SOKY

The question is whether it will meet your needs. You may want to do a little cooking and have a few lights. You will have to carefully manage the load.

I have no information on the brand. However, I usually consider that heavier is better and it is a pretty light generator.

If it is the TG3000 then it is reated pretty quiet, which is good.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I go the battery backup route for my sump pump. Depending on how much use it will get there are cheap and effective options for this.

I would keep the generator for the other stuff on your list which impacts upon your personal comfort more. In the dark, and thirsty, your wife will have little sympathy when you tell her the gen is being used for the sump pump!

Plus, you need to be in to fire the thing up!

Entropy

Reaction score
Can't find the TQ 3000 but there is a TG 3000 by Eastern Tool.

http://www.easterntools.com/product_detail.asp?ProductID=6

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P9SOKY

The question is whether it will meet your needs. You may want to do a little cooking and have a few lights. You will have to carefully manage the load.

I have no information on the brand. However, I usually consider that heavier is better and it is a pretty light generator.

If it is the TG3000 then it is reated pretty quiet, which is good.

Ya, it is the second one but only paid $250 not $382 (wow!!! that's a lot more). This is bigger than the 1200 watt one I had bought from Canadian Tire. I returned it and got the one from Walmart. Same price but almost 3 times the capacity.

Entropy

Furd

Engineer
Reaction score
A high efficiency furnace has solid state electronics for control purposes.

So the answer is yes, this could be a problem with this generator.

You could get a voltage compensating transformer but it would likely cost as much (or more) as the generator itself.

Mikept

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
What about those battery UPS (untinterupted power supply). Those are fairly cheap and woudl give you minutes to use you computer before having to turn on the generator and could protect your computer from voltage issues or spikes. Alot of computers arent that sensitive and have ranges from 90v to 250v and frequencys bewtween 40something and 60somethign Hz.

Last edited:

Entropy

Reaction score
I have no need to power my PC (computer), but it sounds like I might be able to use my deep cycle batery from my boat and my 700 watt power inverter to power my furnace once in a while if needed.

But with a wood stove in the basement it would be a pain to do simply for the "luxury" of it. The wood stove would look after us well.

Entropy

Furd

Engineer
Reaction score
Most (probably all) UPS systems under $100 have no line conditioning, they do not correct for low voltage but simply switch to battery power when the voltage dips.

A 700 watt inverter most likely has a "modified sine wave" output and would be hard on the circuit board and motors in a high efficiency furnace.

shag_fu

Reaction score
You might have saved money by buying a better more complete generator as a package. Ive installed about a dozen residential generacs in the last year. They arent the best but for a solid, reliable and plentiful power supply in an outage, its hard to beat for the price. They are also simple enough they can be installed with just a handful of basic plumbing and electric knowledge.

BigLou

Reaction score
Entropy,
you purchased this unit from wall mart (driving down quality as well as prices) so I hope that quality was not a large part of your expectations. however in a pinch it will run things like your sump pump. does it have a 220 out put? most well pumps I have seen are 220 volt also how would you plan on wiring it in ?

Enosez

Reaction score
You might have saved money by buying a better more complete generator as a package. Ive installed about a dozen residential generacs in the last year. They arent the best but for a solid, reliable and plentiful power supply in an outage, its hard to beat for the price. They are also simple enough they can be installed with just a handful of basic plumbing and electric knowledge.

Basic Plumbing Knowledge to instal a generator?

shag_fu

Reaction score
natural gas or propane, for a constant power source as opposed to diesel which you would have to refill.

frenchelectrican

Electrician
Reaction score
natural gas or propane, for a constant power source as opposed to diesel which you would have to refill.

Not always the case it don't matter which type of fuel one way or other the fuel supply can be inturppted.

with natrual gas there is some chance you can actally loose the NG supply on widespread power outage.

now with LP [ Propane ] it pretty much depending on how much fuel you have in the tank and if you run out small units it can able but not always the case but use the BBQ tank [ not all will have that fitting on hand ]

Diesel fuel they are pretty good if you store the fuel right and IMO it is little more easier to find the fuel during power outage because many larger filling station whom have stand by generators they can able pump diesel fuel for your generator.

Merci,Marc

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks