Fiberglass exterior door paint issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Yar02169

Reaction score
I have an exterior door made by Anderson that doesn't like paint. I have painted, stripped, and repainted the door several times without any luck. Shortly after being painted, the paint bubbles in some areas, and it perfect in others. I have used both oil based and latex paint, and the results are the same. Initial paint preparation included washing the door down with TSP to remove any oils or residual dirt.
At this point I have sanded the bubbles and repainted the effected area, but the paint (latex) again bubles.
Any ideas out there?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
A good primer is the requisite first step. Contact a good paint store, or Anderson, for specific requirements. These doors should be paintable.

Squ1rrel

Reaction score
Jimbo is right, primer is a good start. Also, make sure you are within the temperature range if you are painting the exterior of the door. Most paints cannot be applied when the temp is below 50 degrees, although some can be used down to 35.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I do not have an Anderson door but I used a matt oil paint (Rustoelum) on my fiberglass door to good effect.

elkhornson

Reaction score
Although expensive a boat epoxy paint will work the best and last the longest. The marine epoxy paints are designed to adhere to fiberglass and their long life is important as sanding blistered paint off a fiberglass door is not really an option and chemical strippers are pain to use.

John

Yar02169

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Now, to correct the problem, so if I want to persue correcting it I need to remove the current paint. As Elkhornson states, sanding the fiberglass is really not an option, so I will have to go with a chemical removal. Is there a known brand of paint remover that is safe to use on fiberglass? I know the process will be messy, but if I can make the door look like it isn't from a scrap yard, I'm willing to try it.
Originally I painted the door down in my basement before it was installed, 65°F or so, other coats were done after installation at 70°F+.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
You might have better luck with a heat gun, although you'll have to determine the right temp to use for a fiberglass door.

DIY

Reaction score
door paint issue

Does this fiberglass door have a simulated wood grain texture to it? If that is the case perhaps that wood grainy texture is holding in greases, oils, dirt etc.. Preventing you from getting the door really clean before applying a primer coat (some doors come with primer on them) then the finish coat. As well, as other have mentioned depending on your weather conditions might cause your prep work to have to be "double good" which might lead also you to a tolerant primer/paint for your conditions.Best of luck to you with your door.

epicjohn

Reaction score
I work for Epic Doors which manufactures high-performance fiberglass entry doors. We evaluated several paint suppliers including TruCoat 623, Sherwin Williams Polane 2K Acrylic, and Aquasurtech D200.

We were looking for an environmentally friendly, single component water based paint that was super durable, had great adhesion and laid down smooth.

Based upon our evaluation we selected TruCoat 623. It was much more environmentally friendly than Polane 2K and is a single component and TruCoat had better adhesion than D200 and was priced better.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks