Broken O-ring?: Water leakage at the handle faucet, then suddenly no water at all!

Users who are viewing this thread

decemberrr

Reaction score
This is my first time fixing a faucet.
There was water leakage at the handle faucet of my bathtub. Yesterday, after I pushed and pulled the handle of the faucet a few times, the water stopped coming out completely! I took the parts apart and see if there was anything broken inside but I couldn't figure it out. I only felt that there was almost no resistance when I pushed or pulled the handle. There used to be some resistance when I pushed or pulled the handle.
I went to a local hardware store and the guy there told me that the O-ring at the cartridge might be broken and he told me to take the cartridge out and figure out the size of the replacement O-ring.

However, I was not able to take the cartridge out because it was closely connected to the pipes, etc. Anyone knows how to fix this? There are pictures attached. Please help. Any advice will be appreciated!

http://picasaweb.google.com/sor.snowie/Bathtub?authkey=Tb-bYt1NPqo

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
This is the very common Moen Legend/Chateau. The cartridge is removed by popping out the bronze clip....you can just see the top of the clip sticking up, has a tiny hole in it. Turn off those hot and cold stops first, and be ready to turn off the main if you pull the cartridge and the stops dont hold.

In theory, Moen cartridges are an easy repair job. In practice, they CAN be very difficult if the cartridge is stuck, with water deposits, like it appears likely in your case. You will need to purchase a Moen cartridge removal tool from the hardware store. And don't do this on Sunday morning! Do it Wednesday morning, so after you get stalled, you will still have time to call in a plumber and not go all weekend with NO water.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
faucet

That faucet can be easy to repair or it can be a nightmare for a DIYer, and you will not know which until you get into it. BUT, there is also almost no way for your symptoms to occur with that faucet unless there was an inconceivable major failure inside it. Which is something I have never heard of. The best advice we can give you is to call a plumber, because even if you buy the removal took, it may be the wrong one for your situation, (I have four different ones and sometimes it takes all four to remove the stem).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks