Clawfoot Tub Drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
how does one install the drain of a clawfoot tub?

The specific part I would like some clarity on is the drain to p-trap connection. On a traditional tub I have always accesed the p-trap from below or finished the drain connection from the wall behind the tub.

In this case the chrome drain simply goes into the floor (which will be wood)
Does the drain just sit in the trap? That doesn't make sense. Maybe I'm overthinking this but I need some help.

Thanks
Rem

clawfoot_2218.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
The p-trap is below the finished floor. All you "should" have is stubs for your water lines and your drain line. And you use specialty claw-foot tub installation kits for everything.

SRdenny

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Generally, the tailpiece of the waste and overflow is connected to the drain using a brass or plastic waste connector, (brass if your riser is galvanized or DWV copper) I usually set the waste connector so that only the top or threaded part is sitting above finished floor, so that the box flange on the tailpiece hides the connector when finished.

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
Ok, I think I got it.

I don't know why I didn't think of it before. So basically the same way you would setup the sink/trap adapter out of the wall I would do that on the floor. Right?

All the DWV plumbing is new so I will have a 2" drain and drap under the floor. I don't know if having a hole for a 2" pipe will look that good, kinda large.

I would like to come up with 1.5" Can I drop down the size right after the trap so that I can bring 1.5" above the floor?

SRdenny

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
I would like to come up with 1.5" Can I drop down the size right after the trap so that I can bring 1.5" above the floor?[/QUOTE]

Yes. There is one difficulty which might arise. Because of the lack of distance between the waste connector and the bottom of the tub, you may not have room to connect the tee and tailpiece on the waste and overflow. In that case, you'll have to preassemble the drain to the tub and then place the tub onto the connector. An alternative method is to slide the tailpiece into the connector before you install the tee, then after the tee is installed, slide the tailpiece up and screw it into the tee, tighten the connector and test. Either way, the box flange will give you fits.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks