fluidmaster/toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Gfe76

Reaction score
I have a standard toilet about 30 yrs old...it has fluidmaster "guts" that are about 5 years old. the toilet works ok, but it takes 65 sec to fill tank after flushing. I turned off water, took top off fluidmaster column, reamed column with straightened coat hanger and then turned water on/off to flush column. Tank still fills slow. I think it might be the inlet seal (part #242) since fluidmaster site says seal may have swelled. Thoughts?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the shutoff valve is getting old, the washer or crud in it could be restricting the flow. Also, if your pipes are galvanized, they may be corroded so there is very little flow. Unless you have a lot of chlorine in the water, the seal in the fill valve often lasts longer than that, and when it does fail, it leaks, not restricts the flow.

Gfe76

Reaction score
no, flow is fine to seal because with top of column off, I turned the water on to "flush" the fluidmaster column and the water pressure and volume are fine.... I have copper pipes and the shutoff valve is relatively new..

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Replace the fluidmaster 400A. the supply line with a new braided stainless steel supply, and a new flapper. At 7-8 bucks for the valve why play with it?

You'll be good to go for another 5 years or so.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks