Dual Water Pumps / Boats

Users who are viewing this thread

lawrencetj

Reaction score
Greetings Everyone,

I have a unique setup I haven't seen on here yet. I've even tried a few of the ideas to see if these resolve my problems. But alas, it's still a no go.

Here's my problem.

I work on a boat that has two water pumps. One of the pumps works fine now that I've replaced the pressure switch. The other pump still acts up. WHenever there is a drain on the water system (shower, toilet, sink, etc.) the pump pressure drops suddenly and charges back up just to drop suddenly until the other pump kicks on and puts everything right again.

Here's my setup.

I have two water tanks. Each tank connected to the other through an equalizing pipe. Off this pipe, two pipes provide the supply for the each pump. On the supply line, there is a gate valve and then a check valve. Coming off the pump, I have a T fitting. One way is a large plastic hose (1 in or 1 1/2) that feeds to the pressure tank and the other leads to a check vavle and then the rest of the boat.

What I've done so far...

The other day, a coworker added air to the tank and it stopped the behavior for two days. But it's back and just as bad. 40 PSI is high, down to 20, then back 40. Repeat till the other pump puts up 40 PSI. I've replaced the check valve off the water tank side. I checked the tank for air leaks but can detect none. Not even off the air nozzle. I don't have an air pressure gauge, so I can't tell how much air is in there now.

Does someone have an idea on where to proceed with this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Timothy

Last edited:

lawrencetj

Reaction score
That's the way it's always been. It's still got the 20 layers of paint over it. :D

But seriously, that's the way it's been designed and implemented on all our boats . Was working before.

Thanks,
Timothy

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks