getting a license

Users who are viewing this thread

gizza job

Plumber
Reaction score
Hey up!

I'm a plumber of 20 years and recently relocated to Barrie Ontario from Nottingham in the UK.
I am after some advice to get my plumbing license, i currently hold my city and guilds advanced plumbing craft and need the license before i can gain the all important canadian experience.
Anybody out there who can help?

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
I beleive you can get in contact with the ministry of Colleges ans Universities for Ontario and they will be able to tell you where you can write your examination or any refresher courses you need to take before writing for your ticket. (Humber College in TO would have the proper contact numbers that you would need)

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
I'm not a union boy, so I could not tell you any benefits. I can tell you that the union has done absolutely nothing for me except, to be anal in workers politics. I tried to join the union when I first started out years ago, but I didn't know anybody in the union to put in a good word for me, so they would not let me join. Its not what you know, but who you know ............... way too much politics and corruption for me

gizza job

Plumber
Reaction score
thanks again. if you couldn't join then i've got no chance! doesn't sound like my cup of tea either then i'm not in to secret societies wi funny handshakes and showing your left nipple to get in the gang. any union lads got any thoughts or opinions?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
union

I am not sure how the Canadian unions work, but in the states, if you are a newcomer, you are low man on the totem pole when it comes to job placement. All the "cushy" jobs are taken by the long time members who don't really want to work. You will get the dregs until you have put enough time in. Once you reach that level, you can pretty much goof off if you are on a big job, because the union will be more concerned with protecting their turf first, your job second, and maybe the contractor's viablility third, but only because if he stays in business it accomplishes their first two goals.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Unions? We don't need no stinkin unions!

Years ago I worked in a union shop that was having some financial problems.
Pay checks were late several times.
The guys complained to the union and they came running down to straighen things out!
I had a position where I could overhear the discussion and they jacked the boss up pretty hard over late payment to Health & welfare etc. but not one word was said about late paychecks.
That was the last union job I will ever have.:mad:

Unions? We don't need no stinkin unions!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks