Short circuit of automatic sprinkler

Users who are viewing this thread

bilirubin42

Reaction score
I have an automatic sprinkler system, and for some reason when the timer finishes, the sprinkler keeps running. It seems like a short of some kind because all I have to do to shut it off is touch the control valve for that zone with a screwdriver. What can I do about this because I cannot water the lawn when I am on vacation and having a hard time recruiting people to make sure that same thing doesn't happen. (it ran for 10 hours once when I scheduled it after I had gone to work)

Thanks for your help

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
Throttle down the flow control, if the valve has one. Otherwise, replace the valve, or swap out all the parts with a new valve.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Unlikely that it is a "short circuit". It is either the solenoid on the valve sticking open, or the diaphragm on the valve sticking open. Get a new solenoid, and a valve overhaul kit.

Maddog

Engineer
Reaction score
Same thing happened to me recently. Like Jimbo said - a new solenoid fixed it. Turn off the water and the power to the timer, disconnect the wires, and unscrew the solenoid to remove. A new one cost about $6 at HD.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks