Tiling over Tile

Users who are viewing this thread

jkkh1106

Reaction score
I have a shower that I recently re-tiled. However when I laid the shower floor I did a poor job around the drain and now I am left with a few low spots around the drain, now I am getting standing water in my shower. I am wondering about tiling over what is there now to make the correction instead of ripping the entire floor. Any thoughts?

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
That would be a really terrible idea. If done properly you would have to rip out the first row of wall tile, tear out the floor, use a cement bonder and re-slope. Then re-lay the tile.

You may want to check out

They'll set you straight.

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It sort of depends on whether you have birdbaths in your sloped floor, or the overall slope is not correct.

Raising the drain to accommodate a second layer of tile may not be possible. I may be possble to remove the floor tile without compromising the liner...depends, it can be risky.

Many people put the floor tile in first, then cover it with the wall tile. This is not a requirement, it's just easier since the edge cuts look crappy if you don't get them straight - the wall tile going over them helps hide things. It is eminently possible to leave the wall tile in place and tile up to them. Industry standards call for that gap to be caulked rather than grouted. You could risk it and grout it, but it might fail. Doing it either way can look good...good workmanship is critical, though if you want it to look good.

jkkh1106

Reaction score
I do believe the slope is fine, and the drain is able to accommodate a higher floor. I just want to make sure if I do it, I do it right.

gizza job

Plumber
Reaction score
existing tiles are one of the best surfaces to tile to so if you are confident of raising the drain and gettin the correct fall into it and keep it water tight i say go for it!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

You might have to raise the floor more than you think to get a good bond between the two tiles. Unless the tile was seriously out of kilter, the drain should not be high enough to accomodate a second layer of tile.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks