new toilet in cabin

Users who are viewing this thread

msuchodo

Reaction score
Hello, I am planning on installing a new toilet in a cabin that is seasonal and currently only has an outhouse. i will be installing a 300 gallon septic tank this spring and the only fixture will be this toilet. The roof is sharply pitched and I am a little concerned with climbing on it to cut a vent hole.
a couple of questions.
1. do i need to vent if this is the only fixture on the line? (read somewhere i dont)
2. could I use a studor vent instead of outside vent pipe?
3. from the attached pic, which way should i vent - directly off the vertical run or can i pick up off the horizontal?
4. do i use a sanitary T or wye for the horizontal pickup?

thanks

Attachments

• cabin plumbing.pdf
    5.5 KB · Views: 632

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Are there no other items that will attach to the drain? No sinks, etc? You'll need a vent for the system, and while you could probably do one from the septic tank, most people perfer to have it higher up so it can get dispursed easier (i.e., on the roof). The vent serves two purposes, allows air flow so you don't get a vacuum which can suck adjacent drains dry, and to allow the system to vent any gasses that may be generated by the wastes decomposing.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
A Studor (aav) vent cannot be the sole vent in a system. There must be a vent to the outside.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks