Temporary repair of peeling vinyl

Users who are viewing this thread

Bobbyg123

Reaction score
We are in the process of taking bids to have our kitchen/baths updated, but I need a suggestion on how to temporarily repair (seal) peeling sheet vinyl. The vinyl is peeling away from the bathtub and water (from my kids taking baths) has leaked underneath and warped the plywood liner (not the subfloor). Our plumber said to dry the section as best I can and then seal it so it doesn't cause further damage. He also said that when the new flooring installers come out, they will turn around and go home if the floor is damp. What my plumber DIDN'T say (because I didn't ask) is how to temporarily seal the gap.

It's too wide to use any caulking material, although it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to reinforce the caulk that protects the gap between the plywood liner and the actual subfloor. As tacky as this sounds, is there anything like plumbers tape or any temporary sealant I can buy to use on this after I dry it out?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Duct tape?

If it will hold the nose on that # 8 car at daytona doing 200 MPH it just might work for you for a couple of days!

Bobbyg123

Reaction score
Duct tape?

If it will hold the nose on that # 8 car at daytona doing 200 MPH it just might work for you for a couple of days!

You know what, I was thinking about that but I didn't know how duct tape did in wet environments. I don't care about aesthetics right now. I need something to keep water out of that gap until the new floor is installed in a couple of weeks.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Yea its a hack fix but it should get you by. You could also tape up plastic over the gap... Hey whatever it takes!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks