HELP!! Shower not draining!!

Users who are viewing this thread

jkkh1106

Reaction score
I just had a new shower installed in place of my tub surround in my upstairs bathroom. I just used the shower for the first time and my shower is not draining! Any thoughts would be great!!

adb

Reaction score
I just had a new shower installed in place of my tub surround in my upstairs bathroom. I just used the shower for the first time and my shower is not draining! Any thoughts would be great!!

If it's not draining at all, step 1 would be to pop the strainer off and see if there's anything simple that's visible. For example, if someone covered the drain stub with duct tape during construction and forgot to take it off (not that that has ever happened . . .).

jkkh1106

Reaction score
if it is draining, its very little. i did pop the strainer and i don't see anything obstructing the flow...

adb

Reaction score
if it is draining, its very little. i did pop the strainer and i don't see anything obstructing the flow...

Is the ceiling underneath finished or accessible? (And do you own a small home drain snake?)

Whatever you do, don't pour anything down it (e.g. chemical drain cleaners/openers).

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Hmmm... Where did the tile guy clean his stuff off?:eek:

This has never happened before either!:mad:

Last edited:

jkkh1106

Reaction score
the ceiling below is accessible...i am wondering if when the drain was moved from the tub position to the shower position, if it was installed incorrect...thoughts?

adb

Reaction score
the ceiling below is accessible...i am wondering if when the drain was moved from the tub position to the shower position, if it was installed incorrect...thoughts?

(1) Did it ever drain last night?
(2) Can you take a picture of the drain plumbing underneath and put it up?

It would have to be very incorrect (e.g. running uphill) not to drain at all. Not impossible, but it would have to be a colossal screw-up.

It sounds more likely to be a clog . . . like Redwood suggested, it could very likely be a giant glob of thinset :mad:. If that's the case, you might be calling the tile guy back--to pay the plumber's bill! :D

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
For some reason many of the other trades feel compelled to use drains as trash cans.:mad:

Near here we have a large apartment complex going up... I can't even tell you how many times I have been there to clean drains obstructed with construction debris as the clogs come up on their completed unit punch list. Sometimes its up to 3 separate drains on one call.:D

I'll be sad when they finally finish... Its been a good gig while it lasted!:(
The only bad part was a lot of these calls were before the elevators were working... Fortunately the animals behaved on the upper floors.

jkkh1106

Reaction score
Well, it turns out that it was not a clogged drain, the mistake was a rookie mistake. The guy confused the drain pipe for a n exhaust pipe and routed it to an eventual dead end for the water to flow. We had to cut out the ceiling below to see the problem, and now I am having to get a drywall patch! I HATE PLUMBING!!

theelviscerator

Reaction score
Well, it turns out that it was not a clogged drain, the mistake was a rookie mistake. The guy confused the drain pipe for a n exhaust pipe and routed it to an eventual dead end for the water to flow. We had to cut out the ceiling below to see the problem, and now I am having to get a drywall patch! I HATE PLUMBING!!

Ah so plumbers do make mistakes.......

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I like plumbing... Its the drywall work I hate! Good thing I don't have to fix the holes I make!:D

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks