what is best 12v pump for remote cabin?

Users who are viewing this thread

detra

Reaction score
I have a sand point well driven 9 feet that produces approx 10 gpm. Previously I had a 3hp gas-driven centrifugal pump, that filled a couple of barrels on top of the camp that gravity fed sink/toilet/shower/kitchen. I want to switch to a pressurized on demand system.

It has to run off 12V batteries, trickle charged by small solar panels.

The camp mainly gets used weekends in the summer.

Can I get away with a flo-tec or shurflo on demand pump without a pressure tank? I would prefer to get a higher quality pump but I am worried that batteries will not be sufficient to get a 115 volt pump working properly.

Thanks

Speedbump

Reaction score
I think you meant Flojet and Shurflo. They are both good pumps for what your trying to do. Don't expect a lot of water as most of them only pump around 3 gpm. But with no leaks their little pressure switch is pretty dependable without a tank.

bob...

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can use selected versions of those pumps to operate a pressurized system with a precharged tank and a pressure switch. You might be able to figure out what is the most energy-efficient process. You also may want an extra battery hooked into the system (say two deep-discharge batteries in parallel) to make it more reliable if you get a rainiy period.

detra

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I was figuring 2-3 deep cycle marine batteries to be safe, and I have a small generator to charge the batteries if needed. A second question I have is where to find a replacement foot valve that with fit within 1.25 inch pipe. Everything I have seen is much larger.

Last edited:

Speedbump

Reaction score
I sell 3/4" foot valves. They will fit nicely into 1-1/4" pipe. They are made of brass and have the screen on them. Not that it's necessary.

bob...

detra

Reaction score
update and more questions...

My sandpoint well is driven 12 feet with 1.25" pipe. I have run 3/4" plastic pipe into well with foot valve at bottom. Water level in pipe is 5-6' below surface. Currently, I have a hand pump installed at kitchen sink which about 5' above ground. Hand pump works great, and foot valve is not leaking.

I am looking at using a 12V Shurflo 2088 or a 12V flojet 04300143 pump. Both state they will self prime from about 8 feet. Given that the pump installation will be 15-16' above the foot valve, will either of these pumps still draw water from my well? Or will I have to go a true shallow well jet pump (115V) such as a goulds?

If I have to go with a 115V pump, will twin deep cycle batteries and an inverter (1000W) be enough to run the pump?

Thanks for your help. I have to choose a system this week in order to get it in time for an upcoming vacation.

Speedbump

Reaction score
It's not the level of the footvalve that is important. It's the top of the water in the well. That is where you are actually lifting the water from.

The inverter and batteries will work fine, but I can't tell you for how long. Remember that some Inverters can run AC motors and some can't. Also, the AC motors take a lot of starting amps to get going initially, so the Inverter has to be 3 to 5 times larger than the one that would actually run the motor.

If you were to go with the jet pump, the 3/4" droppipe is too small. You would be better served to pull directly off the 1-1/4" pipe is it doesn't have any air leaks.

bob...

detra

Reaction score
Thank you for the help. I am hoping to be able to use a 12V system. Anybody have any suggestions as to which Shurflo or Flojet or other model may provide the most lift?

I am currently looking at flojet 2840-100 pump with small accumulator, advertised to lift up to 15 feet with wet prime. Shurflo 1202-100 advertised at 12 foot lift, and flojet 04300143a. Anybody have experience with these?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks