(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: wye vs. sanitary-tee

Hybrid View

Default wye vs. sanitary-tee

Can a 4x4x2 Wye fitting be used on a horizontal section of a 4" drain waste to tie-in a 2" tub drain? Or should a san-tee be used?

I'd like to be able to come into the 4" waste line at a 45 degree angle, as opposed to 90, but I thought I read somewhere on here that a wye could only be used on vertical drain stacks. (searched for the thread but couldn't "re-find" it).

Any help would be appreciated.

A tee can only be used for directional changes from horizontal to vertical. Two 45s or a wye+45 should be used for directional changes from vertical to horizontal. Atleast that is how it's done where I am, the UPC might differ on the usage on sanitary fittings.

So you want a wye+45. It will give you more play to get things lined up anyways.
    Last edited by Basement_Lurker; 04-02-2008 at 02:09 AM.
    Broken promises don't upset me. I just think, why did they believe me? -Jack Handy

www.blackbirdkitchenandbath.com

Just wanted to note that both of the drain sections I am referring to are horizontal. 2" horizontal tub drain going into a 4" horizontal waste line. I'd like to tie the 2" line into the 4" line at a 45 degree angle (such as a wye fitting allows).

Am I clarifying, or being redundant? hahaha.

Hmm, I think I follow what you are trying to describe. You have a 4" horizonal drain line under the tub, and you want to use a wye to connect a drain to the tub on a 45 angle.

Usually you don't have enough room to work with to be able to install a tub drain like that, and it basically would wet vent the tub or not vent the tub at all. If I understand you correctly, you want to use a p-trap, then a 45 directly after, and run a section of pipe down to a wye below?

It sounds like a strange way of doing it to me, perhaps someone else should chime in.
    Last edited by Basement_Lurker; 04-02-2008 at 02:38 AM.
    Broken promises don't upset me. I just think, why did they believe me? -Jack Handy

www.blackbirdkitchenandbath.com

If I am understanding you right, the wye is the way to go. You have a 4" horizontal run and a 2" horizontal run that you are tying together. You are not suppose to us a tee flat like that.

Quote Originally Posted by mattbee24 View Post
    If I am understanding you right, the wye is the way to go. You have a 4" horizontal run and a 2" horizontal run that you are tying together. You are not suppose to us a tee flat like that.
    Yes, this is it. I am just trying to tie together a 2 and 4 inch line (hard to understand without a picture or drawing...I should have included one). I wasn't sure if the tie-in of 2" into the 4" needed some kind of built-in sweep (like a san-tee or combo tee has) or if I could just shoot "straight in" with a wye (straight in at a 45 degree angle, that is).

But now I understand that San-tees are for changing horizontal to vertical directions.

Thanks guys!!!!