Shallow well jet can't keep up...?

Users who are viewing this thread

michiglen

Reaction score
This is a GREAT forum, and I've gotten a lot of help just by reading other peoples problems, but can't find anything quite like my current situation. I've got a shallow well jet w/a 7 year old Well Xtrol 203 tank and a Lowes 30/50 pressure switch. Everything works perfectly under light use like a sink faucet or single toilet flush, but anything heavier like the softener recharging or washing machine filling seems to suck the pressure down below the switches cut-in point and the pump never starts. It easily reaches 50psi as long as there's no water running, so I don't think it's a dirty jet. (?)

Speedbump

Reaction score
Everything works perfectly under light use like a sink faucet or single toilet flush, but anything heavier like the softener recharging or washing machine filling seems to suck the pressure down below the switches cut-in point and the pump never starts.

Do you mean to say, that the pump motor doesn't start when the points on the pressure switch close or do you mean the pump can't keep up and the pressure just gets lower instead of higher during large water uses?

bob...

Speedbump

Reaction score
Your right that it's not a dirty jet. It sounds like a plugged screen or a lowered water level. Beyond that, I'de be guessing.

How old is this system and what horsepower and brand is the pump?

bob...

michiglen

Reaction score
It's a STA-RITE pump. Can't remember the HP rating-I'm at work now. I'll look when I get home and reply then...

THANKS for the help!

Glen

michiglen

Reaction score
We bought the house 15 yrs ago, and the well is probably at least 10 yrs older than that. It is shallow, (Less than 100') and ended in glacial outwash sands and gravels in a somewhat rural hilly area that is a 3-way watershed at the edge of Michigan's Saginaw Valley. There are fairly permanent wetlands within 100'. The well head looks to be about 3-4" in diameter. That's about all I know about it.

Speedbump

Reaction score
That tells me it has a screen at the bottom and it's probably really plugged in that time period. You may find a Driller who can use Nu_Well Tabs on it or possibly pull it and replace it with a new clean screen. Usually (when done right) when the screen is pulled, a vacuum is pulled at the bottom of the casing causing most of the hardened mineral that gets knocked off the screen up into the casing along with sand and gravel that can be cleaned out my several methods so you are putting the new screen into a fresh bed of sand/gravel.

bob...

michiglen

Reaction score
Thanks Bob! That makes a lot of sense. I'll be calling some local drillers for prices. Now my wife can calm down... She was in a panic, thinking we needed a new well!

:eek:

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks