Toilet Recycle

Users who are viewing this thread

MadisonMini

Reaction score
Just installed 2 new toilets (Toto Ultramax and Drake), and need to get rid of my working older toilets (both 1.6gpf).

Following advice on this web site, I called Habitat for Humanity. They won't take any used toilet.

Called the local plumbing store (who sells Toto), they told me to take it to the landfill.

I read that some concrete places will grind old toilets to make new concrete...no luck there either.

Man, I hate to just bring these to the landfill. I'm in Madison, WI. Anyone with any other advice?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You could do like my cousin Billy Joe Bob and use them for water bowls for the Dawgs. Just take off the seat so they don't get whacked in the head.
They make good planters too!:D

A landfill is probably right where they belong!

Last edited:

Mad Plumber

Mad Skills
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
With the tank removed, they make intaresting planters
I know it's a good idea, because I did it already. I musta got about twenty of them outside in the front yard. My wife plants flowers like roses and yellow ones, Marigolds? I get the most looks from my neighbors when they see how pretty it all looks. Even the postman has a big smile on his face when he sees them. Mad Plumber

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Other than a creative art project or yard decoration, the landfill is the only place for them. Even if someone was redoing a bathroom on his own, putting one of these old units back in use would be wrong. Hey, just last week I finally hauled an old beast to the landfill that I'd been stumbling over since I put in my new Toto last September! You know, it felt damn good to heave that thing into the pile of waste. One down and one to go.

MadisonMini

Reaction score
Thanks

It may be just my local Habitat that won't accept them. In Milwaukee's Habitat ReStore, they accept used toilets. Hate to drive the 90 miles though.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I get that same feeling everytime I pull my truck into the shop after changing out a toilet. That feeling as I send the lid, then the tank and finally the bowl arcing high in the air for that inevidable collision with either the bottom of the dumpster or, better yet other toilets in the dumpster... I don't find that same satisfaction with the heavier one piece toilets unless we do a 2 man toss. LOL

Mad Plumber

Mad Skills
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Here's what I would do. I would take that toilet, and strap it onto my back, real tight with a rope and some duct tape. Then I would climb that tall green leafy tree in my front yard with that toilet strapped to me. Builds muscles in my legs and arms when I do stuff like that. Now when I get about 125 feet up into the air, I would start pulling that rope and duct tape off, and get that thing into my hands for one last look. Way down far away, I should be able to spot that great big rock in the front yard. With a mighty heave, I would throw that puppie off and see if I can hit the rock with the toilet from way the heck up in the tree. Wham!, Crash! Eeehaaa! I love doing that kinda thing. Oh yeah, what was the question?
Mad Plumber

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Regarding Habitat for Humanity or any other organization building new structures. It is illegal to install an old style toilet in new construction anywhere in the US. It is not local option. As I understand it, DIYer could use one as a replacement in his home, but not new construction.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Even though those were 1.6g toilets, you removed them because you had problems? Why would you wish that on someone else...to the dump! You could leave them out by the road with a sign - FREE, and you might save a trip.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The right traffic area and you would be surprised what will disappear with a free sign on it!

I had an old sofa that I was going to take to the dump.
I had been outside getting rained on for weeks.
A buddy suggested the "FREE" sign and we put it out...
It didn't last 5 minutes!

We sat around having beers and the wife was happy I did the dump run!:D

Last edited:

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
My province will give you a $75 rebate if you recycle your old toilet at one of the city's designated recycling yards and opt to replace it with a 6L model and a low flow showerhead (it's done as an incentive to conserve water in the long run).

I am just wondering, do most cities not have some sort of recycling program?

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
The right traffic area and you would be surprised what will disappear with a free sign on it!
Around here it will disappear even faster if you put a "$10" sign on it. Don't bother looking for the $10, though.

We've got a store named "Broke & Poor" that sells building supplies that are recovered during demolition or dropped off. They'll take anything.

Cookie

Reaction score
Yeah, it's called the dump. Our govn should offer incentives. I thought of an incentive once, where it might work here. I thought we could be given a tax incentive if we bought a composter, somekind of a backyard composter. I made one, one summer. I had taken the inside of a washing machine, that part that churns and rigged it up onto a wooden platform, like an A-Frame with a long pole inside; and welded on a handle. It worked well for a lot of years, until, I bought one. As far as an incentive for a toilet, they are hard to get rid of here. I agree with Mikey, that works. Sit whatever you don't want out on the curb, (spouse, kids, household items) put a price on it and wola! It is out of there...

kayre

Reaction score
Similar issue

I, too, did not want to take my old toilet and sink to the landfill. My local "ReStore" run by Habitat for Humanity was happy to have them. While dropping them off, I wandered through the store to see what they had, and before I left, someone had removed and purchased the 30 year old fixtures from the sink.

How about contacting a ReStore in another city near you? You may have to buy some gas to get there, but feel good about being "green." Or do you visit friends and relatives in another state? Maybe your state has some regulation about using recycled toilets, because of the low flush requirements.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Water departments around the country are trying to get people to dispose of the old water wasting toilets.
Water conservation is going to be huge in the future.
It's not being "Green" to waste water like that.

An old toilet can be ground up for roads, or used as fill in a dump, but to reinstall something that uses "our" water resources is just not right, or green.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
With our lake at historic lows, I've found another favorite place to dispose of toilets, unfortunately. If you're near an ocean, though, there might be a valid artificial-reef argument.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Some cities have recycle for old porcelain fixtures, they get ground up for road beds.

Water departments don't want them reused.
Many are offering pretty good rebates if you take old toilets out of homes with the promise that they never get reinstalled.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks