Garbage Disposal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Fudog

Reaction score
We have a double sink in the kitchen and one side has a garbage disposal.If my wife does alot of food preparation at once even though the disposal grinds it up such as potatoes and numerous vegetables the drain will plug up solid and I will have to tear it apart to clean it.It seems as though the water flow on the disposal side is not flowing enough to wash the debris down. Any suggestions or has anyone had this problem before?:confused::(Garbage Disposal is appr 5 yrs old.THANKS!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If this was a typical builder's disposal, it wore out about 3 years ago, just after its two year warranty expired. Chance are that although it is still turning, it is not doing a good job grinding the food. Larger chunks are getting through.

For the little woman: the secret to trouble-free use of a disposer is to feed the scraps in a little bit at a time, allowing the unit time to do its job, and running lots of cold water all the time; then add a little more food, etc.

Or, move to Raleigh, NC where I understand that disposals have been outlawed due to water shortage!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If this was a typical builder's disposal, it wore out about 3 years ago, just after its two year warranty expired. Chance are that although it is still turning, it is not doing a good job grinding the food. Larger chunks are getting through.

For the little woman: the secret to trouble-free use of a disposer is to feed the scraps in a little bit at a time, allowing the unit time to do its job, and running lots of cold water all the time; then add a little more food, etc.

Or, move to Raleigh, NC where I understand that disposals have been outlawed due to water shortage!

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
As Jimbo stated you are probably working with a worn out builder grade disposer probably an Insinkerator Badger 1 or, 5. They have a galv. steel grinding chamber which disappears after a few years. Quicker if drain cleaning chemicals are used.

May I suggest an upgrade to the Insinkerator Evolution line with its stainless steel grinding chamber and super quiet rubber mounting.

There may be other issues such as improper drain piping under the sink, but usually its the disposer.

Installing the Evolution in the Seattle area.

evolutioncompact_med.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks