Wiring above ground

Users who are viewing this thread

Jed54

Reaction score
Have a relative with a car port which is about 30' from house.... Is it possible to run power 110volt to car port above ground....... I've seen some rather small service heads that appear to accommodate smaller gauge wire..... Thanks

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
Everything must comply with Article 225 of the NEC making sure to have the correct height and proper conductors.

Mikept

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
If theres asphalt, concrete, stone or steps, in the way digging the trench is even less fun.

Last edited:

Jed54

Reaction score
I dug a trench for myself a year ago to my garage... Its not a fun thing to do.. This is for a family member.... I was just looking for an alternative method. The last 4' or so would involve busting up existing concrete slab from old garage.. :(

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
There is aluminum service drop cable that can be used.
http://buyawg.thomasnet.com/viewite...m-conductors-aac-neutral-messenger?&forward=1

Table 300.5 requires only 12" burial for 120 Volt circuit with GFCI protection, and you can bore under a sidewalk. I would put THWN in a 1/2" PVC conduit. You need the GFCI for the carport anyway.

You need only 6" if it is rigid or intermediate conduit. A few $ for 30 ft of 1/2" intermediate conduit would be worth the saving for the extra 6" of digging. Since you are doing it for a relative they should be willing to pay for the conduit if you are doing the digging. If they are doing the digging they can make the choice.

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
There is aluminum service drop cable that can be used.
http://buyawg.thomasnet.com/viewite...m-conductors-aac-neutral-messenger?&forward=1

Table 300.5 requires only 12" burial for 120 Volt circuit with GFCI protection, and you can bore under a sidewalk. I would put THWN in a 1/2" PVC conduit. You need the GFCI for the carport anyway.

You need only 6" if it is rigid or intermediate conduit. A few $ for 30 ft of 1/2" intermediate conduit would be worth the saving for the extra 6" of digging. Since you are doing it for a relative they should be willing to pay for the conduit if you are doing the digging. If they are doing the digging they can make the choice.

Wow, If I was actually doing this job, and especially for family, I would buy a steel cable, run it from point "A" to "B" and just tyrap 12-2 UF to it... cheap and simple...

Last edited:

Jed54

Reaction score
I'm in a mind just to put up a motion sensing halogen lamp from the back porch. Her car was broken into last week. Carport area is very dark at night. Why anyone would try to steal a 1985 Taurus is beyond me... :rolleyes:

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
I actually put up a camera and motion sensing floodlight on my house. I need a sign that says Camera in Use or something though. You could just buy a camera housing enclosure off of **** as a deterrent....

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Her car was broken into last week. Carport area is very dark at night. Why anyone would try to steal a 1985 Taurus is beyond me... :rolleyes:
Probably trolling for contents, not the car. It's amazing what people leave in their cars overnight that are attractive to thieves.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks