Kohler Villager or American Standard Princeton

Users who are viewing this thread

Rmok1111

Reaction score
Hello everybody, I am in the process of preparing to redo my bathroom in a condo. I plan on paying a plumber to redo my tub and piping in a 3 wall alcove. I am leaning towards the kohler because of the white color, but it is heavy. The americast has a off white compared to the kohler. I am ok with going with the americast if it is cheaper to install and I can live with the color because the tub is covered up by the curtain. I don't know if there will be that much of a difference in color because I am planning to put up sand color tarvertine on the walls and floor. I also would like to match the kohler sink and toilet that I am planning to put in.

1. Would I have a problem with the weight because I am on the second floor of my condo/coach home that was built in 95? Right now I think I have a vekrill tub there.

2. Will the plumber need access to the ceiling underneath the tub to connect the tub drain because other homeowners live underneath?

3. Does it cost more for a plumber to install a cast iron tub than steel tub because of weight?

4. Can anybody recommend a good licensed plumber in the chicagoland area?

Thank you,

Ray

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
1. Would I have a problem with the weight because I am on the second floor of my condo/coach home that was built in 95? Right now I think I have a vekrill tub there.
Weight should not be an issue as far as floor loading, in a building that new.

2. Will the plumber need access to the ceiling underneath the tub to connect the tub drain because other homeowners live underneath?
It can be done without access beneath. It is a little tricky, and would shade my vote towards americast, because fitting may require more than one in-and-out for dry fit.

3. Does it cost more for a plumber to install a cast iron tub than steel tub because of weight?
Condsidering the difficulty of getting cast iron to the second floor, this would have to figure in the labor cost.

4. Can anybody recommend a good licensed plumber in the chicagoland area?

Thank you,

Ray

The Americast is a very good tub, and has an excellent performance reputation both on this forum, and in my area, where they are used a lot. I have used it with great success.

Rmok1111

Reaction score
Thanks Jimbo, I guess I have to figure out the numbers and talk to the plumber.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I would give second thoughts to a Kohler toilet. Do a search here and see what the others have thought. Every manufacturer makes a white, some make more than one, so close or even exact matches are possible. I'd give their tub and sink a chance, but probably think twice there too. Do not get caught up in their faucets, either. Really tough to get repair parts later on.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks