Copper DWV pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

SG

Reaction score
I have a 3" copper toilet Wast pipe that I need to move slightly during a bathroom remodel. Several questions, can you connect PVC to copper with no hub band connectors and is it code? Second, I assume there is really no difference in sweating 3" copper as opposed to smaller copper water pipe?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Well sweating copper that size really is no different than sweating smaller stuff just the size... And that would include the size of the flame required. I doubt that your propane torch (just a guess) would be up to the task.

There are banded couplings such as the Fernco Proflex, and Mission Coupling lines that adapt Copper to PVC or, ABS this is what I would use. The copper has the same I.D. as the plastic but the was thickness is much thinner so the O.D. is much smaller. These couplings I mentioned have thicker rubber on the copper side to make up for this difference.http://www.fernco.com/proflex.asp

mission_ck22.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

SG

Reaction score
Copper 3" DWV

Thanks for the great info. I assume these fittings would meet most code requirements?

SG

Reaction score
Copper DWV

Thanks very much for the great information.

rudytheplbr

36 Journeyman Plbr
Reaction score
Copper DWV

Thanks very much for the great information.

I started my plumbing apprenticeship (lo many yars ago) when we were still using cast iron and copper DWV, and I stil think its the best for Waste systems installation. Also, I am considered a copper DWV mechanic.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
?

Also, I am considered a copper DWV mechanic.

What does that mean? I can see being a DWV mechanic which would mean you know how to create a proper DWV system, but I would prefer to be a "cast iron, copper, ABS, and PVC" mechanic if I were to be considered a "real" plumber.

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
Redwood said:
About the only thing I don't want to be known as is a "Lead Bend Mechanic."

Around here, I've seen a few "Radiator Hose Drain" mechanics . . .

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
When I tackled my bathroom remodel, I noticed that I had galvy vents and copper drains, and a cast stack, clay main drain to sewer and a lead closet bend for the toilet. I could see where someone added some PVC later, and so did I, but is all this different material common in the 1920's?

Thx
Jason

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks