"S" trap

Users who are viewing this thread

Jerome8283

Reaction score
I'm replacing my bathroom petalstool sink. I removed the sink from the wall and main lines. I left part of the "S" trap in place (the down spout). My wife ran the washer machine and water came out when the washer went to it's rinse cycle. Is this normal? Should I have left the the "S" trap on?

My home is on a slab and the washer is on the same floor.

adb

Reaction score
Should I have left the the "S" trap on?

My home is on a slab and the washer is on the same floor.

While any trap is apart for an extended period of time, plug the drain to prevent dangerous sewer gases from entering your home. That is the purpose the water that remains in the trap when it is attached serves.

That said, S-traps are problematic because they cannot be vented properly. When water flows along a common horizontal run from another high-volume device with inadequate venting (such as the water from your washing machine, suds expelled under pressure), it will pull air behind it anywhere it can, potentially siphoning your s-trap.

It doesn't sound like the work in progress is conducive to moving drains around, so I presume you will be reusing the s-trap when you put in the new sink. The sink probably gets used more frequently than the washer, so long-term trap seal depletion is not likely a major issue. If, however, you are doing more extensive work or having any renovations done beyond the sink replacement, consider converting your drain to a p-trap with proper venting.

For now, buy a test plug and put it in the pipe coming out of the floor.

Jerome8283

Reaction score
While any trap is apart for an extended period of time, plug the drain to prevent dangerous sewer gases from entering your home. That is the purpose the water that remains in the trap when it is attached serves.

That said, S-traps are problematic because they cannot be vented properly. When water flows along a common horizontal run from another high-volume device with inadequate venting (such as the water from your washing machine, suds expelled under pressure), it will pull air behind it anywhere it can, potentially siphoning your s-trap.

It doesn't sound like the work in progress is conducive to moving drains around, so I presume you will be reusing the s-trap when you put in the new sink. The sink probably gets used more frequently than the washer, so long-term trap seal depletion is not likely a major issue. If, however, you are doing more extensive work or having any renovations done beyond the sink replacement, consider converting your drain to a p-trap with proper venting.

For now, buy a test plug and put it in the pipe coming out of the floor.

Thanks I will plug it. The pipe comes out of the wall.

adb

Reaction score
If the drain stub comes out of the wall horizontally, the trap for your sink is probably a p-trap (unless you have an s-trap ending in a 90 down near the floor for some odd reason). If it is, ignore the aforementioned issues with venting s-traps.

Jerome8283

Reaction score
If the drain stub comes out of the wall horizontally, the trap for your sink is probably a p-trap (unless you have an s-trap ending in a 90 down near the floor for some odd reason). If it is, ignore the aforementioned issues with venting s-traps.

ok Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks