(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Timer for Water Heater (Pictures)

Default Timer for Water Heater (Pictures)

This Grey Box, is an Intermatic timer for my water heater. I have off-peak metering, but this timer is not wired properly.

Can someone please tell me the proper wiring for this unit? I've called Intermatic but they were not very helpful as I was on hold for a very long time waiting for a tech. There is 10-3 coming into the box.

Thanks,
    Molo
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    "Any American who is prepared to run for President should automatically, by definition, be disqualified from ever doing so."
    Gore Vidal.

Licensed Electrical Contractor Speedy Petey's Avatar

You're gonna have to remove that plastic shield if you want us to help you.

Master Plumber master plumber mark's Avatar
    indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of the brave....
    Blog Entries

Talking what exactly is wrong with it???

why do you think something is wrong with it anyway??

i have seen these a lot and the only tihng that goes wrong
    with them is usually just the time of day gets screwed up
    on them....

perhaps you just have a bad element ....

not a bad timer

Terminals 1 & 3 are the LINE side,(from the panel) 2 & 4 are the LOAD side, they go to the heater... not sure why they ran 10-3, but your not going to be using one of the conductors...

Default Better Pictures

Some Better Pics,

I believe this is a wiring problem, I have set these timers succesfully in the past, and this one continues to come on based on demand, not the timer. I have to use the manual lever if I want it to turn off.

Thanks for looking,
    Molo
    "Any American who is prepared to run for President should automatically, by definition, be disqualified from ever doing so."
    Gore Vidal.

How is the water heater wired? Is the blue and yellow tied together at the heater? Its obviously wired wrong... just not sure why they ran 3 conductors to the water heater.

Default better pic. of inside of timer

A slightly better pic of the inside of the timer. The water heater doesn't pay attention to the timer. It turns on when there is demand. I've set these timers before with no problem, this is why I believe it may be a wiring problem.

Thanks for looking,
    Molo
    Gore Vidal.

I have no idea what that blue is, but both yellows (I assume the load 240v) are on the same terminals as the red and black feed. The switch is doing nothing.

As you can see in the first pic. The timer is supplyed by 10-3. The timer then supplys the water heater through the flexible metal conduit.

The white from the 10-3 is in a wire nut all alone. The Large blue from the armored conduit does not go in the wire nut with the white from the 10-3. (the picture is deceiving)

Thanks for any input,
    Molo
    Gore Vidal.

I see that. Can you tell us what the blue does?

As stated before, the two yellows need to be on terminals 2 & 4.

Default Pics of Upper & Lower Element Wiring

Pics of Upper & Lower Element Wiring. This is the best way of showing what the blue does.

Thanks again,
    Gore Vidal.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

The two hot leads from the power panel need to go to terminals 1 and 3 (doesn't matter which one goes where). Then, the two leads that go to the WH need to go on terminals 2 and 4. You have no connection on terminal 4. It MIGHT work, since it appears you have one lead connected to the hot line input, but won't work via the automatic switch. What you have is one hot lead connected to the WH all the time; the switch is only switching one lead, not opening both.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

http://www.intermatic.com/images/ins...heets/wh40.pdf

http://waterheating.rheem.com/conten...ofessional.pdf

You will need the wiring diagram for your water heater. The second link above is for Rheem, and may be instructional. Figure F on page 20 of the manual is how yours likely would be wired. It appears that in this configuration, the upper element is always live, but the lower element is controlled by the timer.

Can't tell from the pics of your water heater how that switched wire is connected, but it appears your t-stat configuration may not be compatible with timer operation. In any event, find the wiring instructions for your model, and go from there.

If you have off peak metering, that should be controlled by the off peak meter outside your house, which is under the control of the electric company, not a timer which you can control.