Installation advice

Users who are viewing this thread

Pippin

Reaction score
I am replacing some old toilets with new WaterSense toilets and I want to make sure I do the job just once and correctly.
I am looking for any tips / tricks / or gotchas for a install.
I should have a straight forward install with a 12 inch rough-in, replacing old toilets with Toto Eco Drake, good space around toilets etc.
I am not sure about levelness of floor though it does not look too far off.
House is 20 years old with PVC drains.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards, Pippin

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Set the toilet in place without the wax ring to see if it set level without rocking. If so, you're good to go. If not, you will need to shim the low spot(s) then install. Pretty straight forward. Don't use a horned wax ring.

Pippin

Reaction score
Set the toilet in place without the wax ring to see if it set level without rocking. If so, you're good to go. If not, you will need to shim the low spot(s) then install. Pretty straight forward. Don't use a horned wax ring.

I am wondering what material is best to use for a shim?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A penny, dime or nickel...their cheap, flat, and you don't have to go to the store for them, and they don't compress or rust. Or, you can go buy plastic tapered toilet shims, try to cut them off and hide the end and get frustrated. You don't get as much contact with the tapered ones, either...

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the flange is where it should be, on top of the finished floor, a normal wax ring is more than adequate. Don't use one with the plastic horn in it...it often causes more problems than it solves. If the flange is recessed, consider raising it with extender rings. You can use an extra thick wax ring if it is low, or two normal ones, but if you end up with too much wax, or it slips during the install, you can block a good portion of the drain; that's why you really want the flange at the right height...you minimize the wax needed, and will have fewer problems.

During the install, you should be able to feel the toilet resistance as you set it in place as you squish the wax to make the seal.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks